General Install Questions

TommyBoy24
10+ year member

Ok, I am trying to install an amp and a sub into my Grand Prix and I have a frew questions. First what gauge wire should I use to power my amp, it is a 200 watt amp? I am guessing it is going to take me about 20 feet of wire to reach the trunk. Second, is there a difference in wire, e.i. is what I can get at Home Depot the same stuff I would buy at lets say Best Buy? Third, the radio reception in my car is bad to begin with, any ideas on how to improve this, I haven't installed or messed with anything yet? Fourth, what size of fuse should I run in line with the positive power wire, this info wasn't included in the amps manual? I am using the factory head unit in order to keep my steering wheel controls. I appreciate all of the help, Tom //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/banghead.gif.8606515f668c74f6de0281deb475b6fd.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

if i were u i would get 8 gauge wire and dont buy any cheap walmart or fleamarket crap especially the cheap stuff of ebay i would say go with lighting audio or rockfard fosgate wiring kits and the fuse it depends on how big the fuse is in ur amp but ur radio reception i would think that u can buy a antenna booster from radio shack or ask a local audio shop there pretty cheap or another way is getting xm service or sirus service but that is a little more expensive

sorry masterbass.....but wire is wire..the only thing that really matters w/ the brand name of the wire is the strand count.....and run the wire from the + of the bat to the + on the amp and run the remote wire from the h/u to the remote of the amp and also run about a 12-18" wire same size as the power to a good ground source in your car....good luck

Originally posted by Goddyd4me sorry masterbass.....but wire is wire..the only thing that really matters w/ the brand name of the wire is the strand count.....and run the wire from the + of the bat to the + on the amp and run the remote wire from the h/u to the remote of the amp and also run about a 12-18" wire same size as the power to a good ground source in your car....good luck
more like run the shortest wire possible to ground w/

Originally posted by Goddyd4me sorry masterbass.....but wire is wire..the only thing that really matters w/ the brand name of the wire is the strand count.....
Yup!! Wire is wire, as long as it's oxygen free copper. The only difference strands make is flexibility. Don't beleive me, go check out AudioQuest wire...big ass solid pieces.

not so i had some cheap no name wire installed by a shop when i got my first car and do 2 poor quality sections of the wire heated up and melted the rubber surround i may be wrong but i woulsd still recomend going with a wire produced by a company that has established itself rather than going withsome cheap 20 dollar install kit

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.