fuses pop when turning on amp - is it blown?

Participant count
  • Participant list

mrpep

CarAudio.com Elite
chicago
I removed all of the speaker wires and rca from HU and have only power, ground and remote on amp. The amp has 2 20 amp fuses and as soon as I turn on the radio the fuses pop. What could it be? is the amp blown? Could it be a ground issue?

I removed all of the speaker wires and rca from HU and have only power, ground and remote on amp. The amp has 2 20 amp fuses and as soon as I turn on the radio the fuses pop. What could it be? is the amp blown? Could it be a ground issue?
Does the amp smell at all? Doesn't sound good man.

Typical sign of a failure in the output section of the amplifier. Shorted outputs are causing the amp to pull excessive current and pop the fuses. She needs to be repaired

I caused it ... Its an old amp and you can barely read the symbols on it so I was trying to bridge it and I think I connected either positive to positive or negative to negative. Its not a huge loss , its not my Alpine , this is a beater I bought for 40$. I just wonder if it can be fixed.

i agree it is probably the output MOSFETs, one or more of them have shorted. it can probably be repaired but the cost will be greater than $40 if you have to replace all of the MOSFETs. you can do it yourself if you are familiar with board-level soldering work and have a steady hand.

this is a starting point:

Basic Amplifier Repair

you can buy his amplifier repair tutorial and it will give you enough information to attempt basic repairs. you'll need a good temperature adjustable soldering iron, flux, silver bearing solder, desoldering braid, a DMM, and clean and well-lit place to do the repair.

what model is the amp? reversing polarity won't cause damage - just an out-of-phase signal. if you mix up power and ground connections, then the repair is more invasive.

its an old Orion Xtreme 400 . That just intimated the heck out of me , lol. I removed the 4 screws which were located on the side and it doesnt seem to open. This is one tricky assembly.

its an old Orion Xtreme 400 . That just intimated the heck out of me , lol. I removed the 4 screws which were located on the side and it doesnt seem to open. This is one tricky assembly.
Take the bottom plate off. The side has internals attached to it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.