Fuse size for 4 gauge

Participant count
  • Participant list
just some off brand crap i dont remember i picked it up like 4 years ago and i just pulled it all out of storage some guy at the audio store said use a 60a fuse why would he suggest something so low if you guys are saying 120 range also if it madders im using a hooker audio fuse block

Well if my amplifier has 3 30amp fuses so would running 60a fuse do harm.And i dont know anything about electrical stuff by any means. And as far as runs its 12" of the bat fused and then about 10 feet to the amp

...some guy at the audio store said use a 60a fuse why would he suggest something so low if you guys are saying 120 range
Either the guy wasn't very smart, or he knew it was some thin budget stuff that's not really 4 awg.

depends on how many amps your amp pulls and how far of a run it is.
Not really. The PRIMARY factor is the actual cross section area of the wire. 4 ga SHOULD be good for 125A or so, but some push it to 150.

If you're ACTUALLY trying to draw 150A through anything more than 10' or so voltage drop will become an issue using 4 awg.

Well if my amplifier has 3 30amp fuses so would running 60a fuse do harm.And i dont know anything about electrical stuff by any means.
Not a problem. It would just give you some added protection in case your wire is not truly 4 awg. Besides, with 3x30's you'd have to be seriously blasting it for a long time to blow a 60A main.

i think that you'll be fine with 4 gauge with that length of a run. but you need to run atleast a 100amp fuse.
If it IS REAL 4 gauge wire sure, 100A is fine, but I'm not confident that it is. I think a 60A would be the best choice for now.

Bopo, if your wire is accessible just take a ruler and look at the cross section. 4 awg is between 3/16" and 1/4". 8 awg is about exactly 1/8". You'd be looking at the copper only. The insulation is not a factor.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.