Full system advice for a newb??

JoeGlock19

I am looking to replace my stock stereo and speakers. My problem is all the systems I have seen or heard sound like **** and I don't know anything about whats good. I am not doing a sub yet for now just all speakers and dash unit. I am looking for a touch screen DVD player for the dash. As far as speakers go I have no idea. I have a 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad-cab. I'm looking for good all around sound and will add a sub or 2 later with a cap and upgraded alternator. What do you guys recommend?

Don't do the cap whenever you add an amp + sub.

this is just MY opinions, sure others will over look them but at least you will have various inputs. Pioneer makes pretty good navi systems and touchscreen HU. they are feature packed. Alpine does as well. From what I've seen. I don't know if there is any "underground" head units that would be better either.

As for speakers, spend some good money on a pair of components. Since that's all you will be running for now, they can go louder and have way better sound quality than full range coaxial speakers. Even if you don't plan hooking up an amp to them(even though the head unit will really under power them), they are just worth the investment. Any little 4channel amp will be good though.

I haven't been into audio too long to be giving expert advice but as a common "newbie" this is the route I would have taken, instead of spending money on buying speakers you end up replacing later lol

Get a nice external DSP. Speakers come and go, but DSP will remain relevant IMO. If you were replacing stereo with a 1din unit, I'd suggest you get a Pioneer DEH-80PRS head unit. It's a relatively cheap and easy intro into car audio SQ. You get a powerful DSP with 2-way active front stage capable equalizer, time alignment, 16 band (for each side) equalizer, and so on, plus automatic tuning with a microphone. As far as I know 2din head units don't have anything like this, so you may have to get an external DSP (PPI, JBL, Alpine, Arc, whatever) which is a lot more expensive. My preference would be to get JBL MS-8 or Alpine H800 as they have an automatic tuning system, which can work as a nice starting point in a setup.

I would look at Memphis mclass for nice speakers for decent price put some 6.5 components in the front and some 6.5 coax in the back it'll cost about 400 but they are really nice and very well built. Depending on budget though I would go with incriminator a speakers if I only had 250 to spend.

Amps vary old school is usually cheap and still very nice but they had there issues here and there. American bass makes some nice budget amps as does ppi jbl is also great

Depending on what substage you want later it may be a too idea to get a 5 channel amp like the alpine pdx-v9 or jl hd900/5 or Rockford p1000x5 or jbl 5ez even kicker has a nice 5 channel. But you usually are constricted to 500w for subs

Far as headunits go pioneer is the cheapest for a quality unity but alpine and kenwood are also good clarion and jvc are ok as well

Like zako said you really don't get much tuning features with a double din so dsp has to be external but for casual listeners dsp isn't a must have either.

A good budget can help us narrow suggestions down for u

I know your truck fairly well. 6x9 up front and 6.5 in the rear. 1.5 din dash for a single din deck. But a double din will fit with some dash bezel Mids the nz702 is a great active double din deck with navi and time alignment There are some 6x9 components available. But good or decent ones aren't cheap ill be glad to help you out with suggestions and links if you like. Also you need to deaden the doors to get better mid bass response and under the rear seat for subs a custom box can be difficult but would be the best option for subs. A pair of 8s or 10s there

I could use all the help I can get. I want to do this right. Also this is my every day driver I was thinking about making it so the subs can be removed easily so I don't lose space.

do 6x9 components up front ,6.5 mids or coaxials in the rear.i know that you are limited on space ,so either an american bass ph 5100 fr or the 150.4 hybrid both are small and compact .the arc audi xdi would also be a great choice ,but a bit more money for it.do a 0 gauge amp kit and break the wire down to a 4 gauge with a distro block for the amp or amps.deaden all the doors ,and a 80 prs deck

deaden is just dynamat? As for the subs when i finally do them i was going to have them in a box i can remove and just attach the amps to the box. I have some space for an amp under the driver seat or under the center seat.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.