full car install

Participant count
  • Participant list

HEADHUNTER
10+ year member

ohio
first of all this is my first post here. and yeah im new to car audio so i might(will) ask some dumb questions but im 16 and i have to start somewhere. right?

(I'm not sure if this is in the right forum but if its not,will a mod move it?)

I do understand electronics and such but i want to learn as much as i can about audio stuff.

and i buy all my stuff myself from a part-time job i wont be buying the best stuff right away.

i bought my first car (87 thunderbird) a few months ago and it has a stereo but like every other 16-year-old i want more //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif

what would be a decent system for under 200 USD? it already has an el cheapo HU and ive got like 50 rms dual-channel "6.5's in the doors. some old (they are dated october 1995) blaupunkt 6x9's that are rated 85 rms and the original "3 tweeters in the dash. the HU i planned on upgrading last.

what should i upgrade first? (all will be replaced eventually)

thanks in advance for putting up with my n00bness

An 87 thunderbird, I don't want to be a ****, but bro, I'd save up for a newer car first thats going to last. BUTTTTT, stereo stuff is transferable so let's get moving.

The headunit is going to make the biggest difference unless all of your speakers are blown. A budget of $200 is going to get you a headunit, and some speakers. For $200, I recommend:

Headunit:

JVC - 50W x 4 MOSFET Apple® iPod®-/Satellite Radio-/HD Radio-Ready CD Deck - KD-R610

Speakers:

Alpine SPS-600C (sps600c) - 6-1/2" Component Speakers System - Sonic Electronix

I'm 18 now and I've already dropped over $2000 in my stereo and my next upgrade I'm working on now is going to cost me another $2000. People get addicted to this... I started when I was 16 as well. $200 can't get you much, but I did the best I could. You will be satisfied with this so far.

the car is actually in good condition and i like the car so if anything ill be making it better. i can go higher on the price if it is worth it. maybe 400? thats for the reply

The 610 is a good unit. I have one in my car and we sale them every day at the shop. The tbird can be a nice car really starting to become a classic.

HU

Doors

Deck

Wire

Subs

4ch amp

That is the path we use most times.

For the doors and deck I recommend Memphis PR series. They sound great on deck power and will sound even better on an amp. They also have a lifetime warrenty available.

thanks, i was also thinking about foaming/deadening (or whatever you want to call it) the door. should i do it now? and should i run heavier wire to the speakers or just use the stock?

EDIT** what full set of speakers (6X9's, 6.5's, and 3 inch) are recommended for good value, decent sq and possibly volume? (i AM 16 //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif) SQ is slightly less important in this car. (its a V8 so, SQ wouldn't matter much if I couldn't hear it or afford it)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.