Frustration.. help wanted. Thanks paid. Subwoofer sound then no sound.

Participant count
  • Participant list

bgolfer88

I got every together for my install today and I thought it had all come together but I am left with no sound out of the subwoofer.

Amplifier: Sony Xplod XM-504Z 4/3 channel

Subwoofer: Kicker Comp S 10"

The amplifier powers on fine. It runs the front two channels fine. I tried one of the front speakers on the rear channels and they appear to work fine. I have the subwoofer bridged on the rear channels. The subwoofer didn't work at first, then I re-did the connections on the subwoofer side because the wires were fraying and it worked for about 15 minutes then stopped producing sound again. I have checked connections, all seem good. The amplifier is grounded on a rear door hinge, I used a dremel to take some of the paint off for a metal on metal contact.

I am fine at installing these things but not trouble shooting. Any suggestions or things to check are appreciated.

I got every together for my install today and I thought it had all come together but I am left with no sound out of the subwoofer.
Amplifier: Sony Xplod XM-504Z 4/3 channel

Subwoofer: Kicker Comp S 10"

The amplifier powers on fine. It runs the front two channels fine. I tried one of the front speakers on the rear channels and they appear to work fine. I have the subwoofer bridged on the rear channels. The subwoofer didn't work at first, then I re-did the connections on the subwoofer side because the wires were fraying and it worked for about 15 minutes then stopped producing sound again. I have checked connections, all seem good. The amplifier is grounded on a rear door hinge, I used a dremel to take some of the paint off for a metal on metal contact.

I am fine at installing these things but not trouble shooting. Any suggestions or things to check are appreciated.
Bad place for a ground. Does the amp have a button on it for 3 and 4 ch operation? Maybe check that. Make sure connections are tight and not came loose.

I'll try running ground to battery tomorrow. Could this cause my symptoms? No channel switch. Will quad-check my tightness tomorrow as well. Exhausted from install, I just want it to work!

I know simplest solution is usually correct but I can promise I've checked the general connections many times over! But hypothetically could a bad ground cause these issues??

I know simplest solution is usually correct but I can promise I've checked the general connections many times over! But hypothetically could a bad ground cause these issues??
Yes. Some amps are very picky if the amp isn't grounded properly, the amp may not function properly or even turn on for that matter.

UPDATE:

Things are working now. It may have been a couple of things in hindsight..

1) I re-ran the ground wire to the battery.

2) I didn't realize that the subwoofer wouldn't work with the bluetooth. I believe there is a setting that will turn it on but I haven't looked into it yet. Subwoofer works fine with CD, AUX and radio. I may have just not recognized this when I was testing it out yesterday. Durp de durp.

Thanks for all input!!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.