Front speakers... Scosche?

XanderMoser
10+ year member

Poor college student
Wisconsin
I am looking for new front speakers for my 94 Olds Achieva. Like most GMs of the time, they have these large speaker grills with odd shaped plastic "baskets" in the door which hold 4x6 speakers. I have found someone who sells adapter plates on eBay so you can fit 6.5" speakers there instead. The cutout diameter has to be 5.5" or smaller, so that cuts out some speakers. I am also interested in installing components, but won't have the time right away for the custom tweeter placement.

I found some speakers that seem to fit my needs perfectly. The Scosche HDX67 are component, but you can put the tweeter on the included grill optionally. And the cutout diameter is under 5.5". They claim to go down to 35 Hz, and at 100 watts rms, perfect for when I add an amp. Has anyone heard any Scosche speakers before? Are they reputable? The cost $60 from SonicElectronix

Okay. One guy says Scosche and Eminence are good...then the next guy says Eminence is not good...so I'm back where I started I suppose.

both companies are crap. Look into alpines, pioneers, infinity,kicker brands like that are decent. I have a pair of pioneer and/or alpine type s 6 1/2" speakers that I could sell you for that price each set shipped.

both companies are crap. Look into Rainbow and Rainbow All other brands are ok. I have a pair of pioneer and/or alpine type s 6 1/2" speakers that I could sell you for that price each set shipped.
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif

Scosche is better than eminence but both are much better than low quality companies like Rainbow or something

he's being sarcastic too.

Albeit they may be able to go down to 35hz, but in no way will you hear it.

Firstly, whats your budget?

Alright, thanks. By the way, I am knowledgable basic audio theory and speakers, but more in the home theater stuff. So I just am not as familiar with car audio brand reputations. So thanks for your help.

The IRS just stole all my cash, but I am still having fun planning everything even though I can't afford it right now. So for the fronts I'm looking at...staying around $120 preferably. Not more than $150. That limit has gone up since I decided to not put in rear speakers. And I have a sub and amp I can live with for now.

I have one question about this. Can I run components off of my head unit temporarily? I know the quality won't be nearly as good as if I get an amp, but I can only afford one thing at a time.

Those CDTs do look very nice...and they have stuff to back up their claims too on their site. Perfect for my budget too.

I think I will just buy some additional adapter plates to fit 5.25" speakers in my 4x6 to 6.5 adapter plates, because the cutout diameter in that plate is too small for any of the 6.5" CDTs...if that makes any sense.

Thanks everyone. Now I get to have fun finding the best spot to mount my tweeters...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.