Front Output Preamp to line level voltage

Participant count
  • Participant list

tissue901

Hey guys, got an odd question here and looking to see if anyone can help me.

Goal: Hook my cars output up to a PA system through its microphone connection.

Current Setup: I modded my PA system to take in an aux input by splicing into the microphone circuitry. Unfortunately, its not very reliable as my phone likes to disconnect thinking the aux has been unplugged (don't have this issue with my iPod nano) so instead I want to hook my car stereo up to it. This way I can use the radio or hook my phone up to my car stereo to control what comes out of the loudspeaker.

Hardware: I have a Kenwood BT900 with a 4v front/rear/sub preamp output. My understanding is that aux is line-level and is ~1.4v so I need to reduce the output to that range. Does anyone know of a way to scale this down? (Odd I know... because people are always looking for higher preamp voltages)

Another idea I had was amplifying the output to 100w (150 peak speaker) and sending that directly to my loudspeaker. Has anyone ever tried this before? I guess I would just need a 1 channel mono amplifier that can output 100w RMS. Does anyone have any suggestions on a good one that's cheap?

Hopefully this all makes sense and I'm not backwards on anything. I've been out of the game for a few years now and looking to get back into it with this project. Thanks!

Here is a diagram of what I'm trying to do:

pa.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys, got an odd question here and looking to see if anyone can help me.
Goal: Hook my cars output up to a PA system through its microphone connection.

Current Setup: I modded my PA system to take in an aux input by splicing into the microphone circuitry. Unfortunately, its not very reliable as my phone likes to disconnect thinking the aux has been unplugged (don't have this issue with my iPod nano) so instead I want to hook my car stereo up to it. This way I can use the radio or hook my phone up to my car stereo to control what comes out of the loudspeaker.

Hardware: I have a Kenwood BT900 with a 4v front/rear/sub preamp output. My understanding is that aux is line-level and is ~1.4v so I need to reduce the output to that range. Does anyone know of a way to scale this down? (Odd I know... because people are always looking for higher preamp voltages)

Another idea I had was amplifying the output to 100w (150 peak speaker) and sending that directly to my loudspeaker. Has anyone ever tried this before? I guess I would just need a 1 channel mono amplifier that can output 100w RMS. Does anyone have any suggestions on a good one that's cheap?

Hopefully this all makes sense and I'm not backwards on anything. I've been out of the game for a few years now and looking to get back into it with this project. Thanks!

Here is a diagram of what I'm trying to do:

pa.png
You could use a universal bass knob and just hide it, or you could buy a cheap 2 channel amp and bridge it if the ohm load is ok.

I have a Kenwood BT900 with a 4v front/rear/sub preamp output. My understanding is that aux is line-level and is ~1.4v so I need to reduce the output to that range. Does anyone know of a way to scale this down? (Odd I know... because people are always looking for higher preamp voltages)
unfortunately im unfamiliar with most of what you're doing besides what i quoted. in this case, you could splice a resistor inline to reduce the preout voltage. not sure how electrically savvy you are but considering you have schematics i imagine you should be able to figure this out just fine.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.