Fried redtop optima :S

Blazin_Jason
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Alright a couple days ago I was driving home after about 3-3.5 hours of driving, with a couple stops in between. When I was about 15 minutes from home I started to smell rotten eggs very badly. First I thought it was the ocean really smelling like shit for some reason, or the g/f. G/f got a free pass this time :p Being tired as fuck and driving for too long I didn't put 1+1 together. After pulling in the driveway and turning off my truck I could hear something sizzling fairly loud from the back. I removed the cover above my battery and steam was coming out it seemed. It was so hot that you couldn't keep a bare hand above it within 3 inches or so. Luckily nothing was on fire from what I could see. The heat around the battery was unbearable and I was trying to get it disconnected as fast as I could. The terminals were hot and the case was also very hot. I couldn't touch it for more than 1-2 seconds while wearing mechanics gloves even after sitting for close to 5 minutes. It took 15-20 minutes to get it removed. All the while it is raging hot and sizzling while venting out the vent caps. It leaked a little acid out into my truck and down the case. The top of the case is slightly warped. I didn't get a video of the noise the battery was making as I just wanted it to gtfo. So once it was out I checked my front battery to see if it was warm. It was no hotter than usual being under the hood. You could touch it no problem and it seemed ok. Outside temp was about 30°C/~90F. Install is D34 Redtop under hood, RT in rear 1 1/2 years old both purchased new and wired in parallel, 2 + runs knu kol 1/0 to rear battery fused within 10 inches on both runs on each end, and mechman 250A alt installed 9 months ago. Charging voltage is slightly higher than stock tested at 15.2Volts, stock was 14.7. Checked my wires for shorts=none, fuses=fine and the stereo was still playing fine all the while. I thought I read that they could be charged to a max 15.6volts. Either way it's damaged and I am concerned about the underhood battery. Now I plan on getting a deka group 31 to put in the back but I don't want to damage that either. I will contact MM to see if I can or should lower the charge voltage down a bit. So I guess I'm wondering was this user error or what?

clifs: redtop vented acid damn near causing fire, battery fuckt, my bad?

Alright a couple days ago I was driving home after about 3-3.5 hours of driving, with a couple stops in between. When I was about 15 minutes from home I started to smell rotten eggs very badly. First I thought it was the ocean really smelling like shit for some reason, or the g/f. G/f got a free pass this time :p Being tired as fuck and driving for too long I didn't put 1+1 together. After pulling in the driveway and turning off my truck I could hear something sizzling fairly loud from the back. I removed the cover above my battery and steam was coming out it seemed. It was so hot that you couldn't keep a bare hand above it within 3 inches or so. Luckily nothing was on fire from what I could see. The heat around the battery was unbearable and I was trying to get it disconnected as fast as I could. The terminals were hot and the case was also very hot. I couldn't touch it for more than 1-2 seconds while wearing mechanics gloves even after sitting for close to 5 minutes. It took 15-20 minutes to get it removed. All the while it is raging hot and sizzling while venting out the vent caps. It leaked a little acid out into my truck and down the case. The top of the case is slightly warped. I didn't get a video of the noise the battery was making as I just wanted it to gtfo. So once it was out I checked my front battery to see if it was warm. It was no hotter than usual being under the hood. You could touch it no problem and it seemed ok. Outside temp was about 30°C/~90F. Install is D34 Redtop under hood, RT in rear 1 1/2 years old both purchased new and wired in parallel, 2 + runs knu kol 1/0 to rear battery fused within 10 inches on both runs on each end, and mechman 250A alt installed 9 months ago. Charging voltage is slightly higher than stock tested at 15.2Volts, stock was 14.7. Checked my wires for shorts=none, fuses=fine and the stereo was still playing fine all the while. I thought I read that they could be charged to a max 15.6volts. Either way it's damaged and I am concerned about the underhood battery. Now I plan on getting a deka group 31 to put in the back but I don't want to damage that either. I will contact MM to see if I can or should lower the charge voltage down a bit. So I guess I'm wondering was this user error or what?
clifs: redtop vented acid damn near causing fire, battery fuckt, my bad?
this is why, plus optimas **** to begin with

OPTIMA RedTop Charging InformationThe following charging methods are recommended to insure a long battery life - always use a voltage-regulated charger, with voltage limits set as described below.

RedTop Type: 34 & 34R - 34/78 - 78 - 6V - 25 & 35 - 75/25

These batteries are designed for engine starting applications. They are NOT recommended or warranted for use in deep cycle applications.

Recommended charging information:

Alternator:

13.3 to 15.0 volts, no amperage limit.

Battery Charger:

13.8 to 15.0 volts, 10 amps maximum, 6-12 hours approximate.
from website

They are NOT recommended or warranted for use in deep cycle applications.
Good point. The RT's aren't made for constant cycling. If you have a HO alt, I'm guessing you have some power and probably abusing the batts.

Had the same issue about 5 years ago with a redtop. After pulling it from the car it measured 25v for about 3 days before I finally got rid of it. Oh and I hosed off the car from where the vent spray settled (at least where I saw that it settled.....) the places that I missed rinsing had the paint damaged (looked like someone sprinkled pepper on my paint but it was tiny holes from the acid produced)

I see it's the rapid recharge that is max 15.6 volts. Yes both batts are the same group etc and purchased at same time. I'm only running 2 saz 1500ds so max 3k. Yup the battery is mostly enclosed. In these pics you can see where it's located. There is that area where it's open to the amp rack and the fans. So it's not 100% enclosed, but maybe too much???

just junk the redtop and get a deka or something, you cant charge the optima over 15.6 unless its under 10 amps, plus a red in the back isnt really good for what you are doing, they are about the equivelant of a sealed up lead acid battery

My guess: The constant cycling of the RT probably caused sulphation of the lead plates. This sulphation decreases the batt capacity which makes it have to work harder to keep up with your system. That mixed with the high charging voltage and no/little ventilation with a 3+hr drive caused it to overheat.

What is the resting voltage of your other redtop? I'm guessing it might have some issues in the near future. You could try to desulphate it.

Check this out:

http://hackaday.com/2009/07/05/battery-desulfator/#more-12452

The vid is pretty interesting even though the guy is a hippie. I've been wanting to try this to see if it really works, I just don't have any old batts. There a professional version that goes for $700 so I assume in theory it should work....

It leaked a little acid out into my truck and down the case.
Its important to apply baking soda to any area you think acid may have dripped. It will neutralize the acid. Its incredible what this stuff can do. It could easily burn a hole right through your trunk!

I did apply some baking soda after I wiped up what I could. On the drive the volume was only at 1/4 not really pushing anything more than a low listening level. It's not like I haven't drove those far of distances before without issue. Hell I've even drove that long pushing it pretty loud that duration. I just don't know if it was a matter of time before it went or what. After the episode the battery would still read 12.8 volts. The under hood RT normally rests around ~12.7, it was 12.8 about an hour after I got home.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.