freq response subwoofer?

Participant count
  • Participant list

2Dcore
10+ year member

F*It
PA.
Can someone explain to me what the freq response rating on subs mean, does it mean it can only play the freq range that its giving or what. Some subs as lanzar opti only goes down to 40 and subs like my alpines are in the 20. Just wondering, I never really knew what its all about. I got to see if there is z chart that shows what all the ratings mean and why it,s good to know when selecting a sub(s)Thanks for some info.

If you are talking about the fs of a subwoofer that is the frequency where it naturally resonates. This number can help you judge what kind of subwoofer you are looking at and it can help you pick a tuning frequency. High fs subs are either very small subwoofers or more spl oriented designs. Low fs could be a sq sub or a low end monster depending on other specs.

Or if your talking about the woofers actual "frequency response" like alot of lower end manufacturers provide, then it's worthless and you can more or less ignore it. The box will more or less dictate response, along with the vehicle it's in, they just put those things to try and make sales.

Or if your talking about the woofers actual "frequency response" like alot of lower end manufacturers provide, then it's worthless and you can more or less ignore it. The box will more or less dictate response, along with the vehicle it's in, they just put those things to try and make sales.
Yes the actual freq response I was just looking thru some subs online like I always do when I'm bored and was checking out the the specs on the lanzar options 15's they say 3000 rms and was wondering how true that really is. They look pretty beefy for price and what they are.

Well it's 3k RMS, which is hard on some 4inch coils, even my subs with 6inch coils would probably be in a bit of trouble with a real 3k rms for long periods. The Lanzar only uses a 3inch coil, so even with a motor design that maximizes cooling, much over 2k is really pushing it for a legit RMS rating. Even DD, Sundown, etc tend to get limited around 2500 watts RMS and IMO they make alot of compromises just to get it to there on a 3inch coil.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.