Ford Explorer Worklog. Lots o' fiberglass.

NeverEnuffBass
10+ year member

Got Bass?
2002 Ford Explorer

-Older Pioneer Head Unit

-Beyma RF One Components

-The Big Memphis Belle

-Sub: Not sure yet.

-Possible Dayton RS-180's for midbass

Glass work:

-Custom A-Pillars

-Box and amp rack.

Here's the start:

JDExplorerRebuild001.jpg

JDExplorerRebuild002.jpg

JDExplorerRebuild003.jpg

JDExplorerRebuild004.jpg

JDExplorerRebuild005.jpg

JDExplorerRebuild006.jpg

JDExplorerRebuild007.jpg

do those staples cause any problems when try to smooth out the surface between the FG and the original mold?
Nah. A little rage gold and or duramix 40/40 and some sanding and they are good to go. The staples I use are uphostery staples that I shoot with my air stapler. They are thiner than the staples most would try using with a manual gun.

neverenough, why the fiberglass on the panels?

Why not just mold up with kitty hair?

Not trying to be a smartass, just the way I did mine in my old silverado...

100_0587.jpg

100_0588.jpg

neverenough, why the fiberglass on the panels?
Why not just mold up with kitty hair?

Not trying to be a smartass, just the way I did mine in my old silverado...

100_0587.jpg

100_0588.jpg
Those came out nice. Didn't have any kitty hair, cause I don't use it too often. Guess I'm just used to using this method for making pillars, hasn't failed me yet.

understood totally, to each their own!

Would save some time on future projects though, its alot easier to hit kitty hair with a DA then throw some rage gold on it and knock it down.

I did my old girlfriends explorer with fiberglass like you did, I might have went to thick on the glass or something...dunno but it was a pain to get it to feather into the panel like I wanted it to. Then again I have only tried it with glass once so I'm sure there are some tricks to get it to lay right.

Just throwing that out there! They look nice though, can't wait to see a finished product

understood totally, to each their own!
Would save some time on future projects though, its alot easier to hit kitty hair with a DA then throw some rage gold on it and knock it down.

I did my old girlfriends explorer with fiberglass like you did, I might have went to thick on the glass or something...dunno but it was a pain to get it to feather into the panel like I wanted it to. Then again I have only tried it with glass once so I'm sure there are some tricks to get it to lay right.

Just throwing that out there! They look nice though, can't wait to see a finished product
thanks man, shoud be done over the weekend cause I don't have acess to the car again til then. Any pics of the other pillars you did?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.