For monoblock amp...

Participant count
  • Participant list
On a very broad scale....since you gave no specifics...if the final load was 4 ohms to the amp, the amp will generally run cooler. If the final load is 2 ohms to the amp, you can buy a smaller amp, due to the power generally doubles from 4 ohms to ohms.

Ex. You have 2 woofers, both handle 500 watts. If they can be wired to a 4 ohm config only, you would need a 1000x1 @ 4ohm amp, if you wanted to send them full power. This can be more on the expensive side. Where as, if the subs were able to be wired to 2 ohms (still 500 watts each) you could possibly get an amp that is 500x1 at 4 ohms. Most amps, if able to run 2 ohms, will generally double power at 2 ohms, thus giving you 1000x1. This will generally be less expensive, but the amps will run warmer.

to clarify what jinx said...

An amp that runs X power at 4 Ohms will be more expensive than one that runs X power at 2 Ohms

I would just try to run them at 1Ohm. So if they are DVC then get the 4 ohm, if they are SVC get them in the 2 ohm version. Then find an amp that puts out double the rated power of one sub at 1 ohm and wire them to the amp in parallel.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.