Focal nominal ratings

Participant count
  • Participant list

DoobieBrother
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I'm curious about the RMS ratings on Focals. Everyone says they are power hungry, and I've heard comments about giving them double. I'm wondering how valid this is. The 165V2's are rated for 75rms. So do I push them with an amp that is rate for 75RMS, or more? I'm looking at an amp that says 160rms per channel, so I'm wondering if that is too much.

of all the speakers i've used i've always gone with matchin rms from the speaker to the amp about the same. i would push em with an amp that puts out 75 rms and you'll be safer then overpowering them

Keep in mind that most people running high power amplifiers aren't actually using all of their amplifier's power. Just because it's a 150w amplifier, doesn't mean they are actually applying 150w of power to the speakers.

If you set the gain properly (i.e. set the gain conservatively if necessary), and listen for the speakers to sound stressed, and use your head with the other settings like crossover and equalizer (if you have one, don't go boosting frequencies excessively, etc), the 160w amplifier should be fine.

See that's what I was thinking. I was considering pushing it with this.

4 front (class a/b) channels bridged for some Focal 165V2's. And the other two (class D) pushing a single 10" sub. Looking to keep the system simple with one amp.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.