focal and jl's 8w6's

Participant count
  • Participant list

ovsims
10+ year member

nc
I'm thinking about getting some focal 4's or 5.25's to go with my JL 8w6's. Do you think the jl's will be able to make up for the loss in midbass since i'm not going with the 6.5's? Also i notice when looking for comps that MB Quarts said that none of their speakers (with the exception of subs) are recommended for any type of enclosure as it would take away from the overall performance of the speakers. I wanted to know if i would have this problem with the focal speakers as well b/c i want to fabricate an enclosre to house either 4's or 5.25's that didn't have a lot volume.

Depending on which line of Focal's you've got, they are known to handle a good amount of power so you could actually set your frequency response on the 5.25's a little lower to pick up a little midbass. I just don't know how the Discus series would hold up so be careful.

Depending on which line of Focal's you've got, they are known to handle a good amount of power so you could actually set your frequency response on the 5.25's a little lower to pick up a little midbass. I just don't know how the Discus series would hold up so be careful.
My bad, Discuss series are MB Quart, I meant the Access line of Focal.

How hi will i be able to set the jl 8w6's without damaging or making them not sound good. I can't find anything on their freq. response range

How hi will i be able to set the jl 8w6's without damaging or making them not sound good. I can't find anything on their freq. response range
High frequencies won't damage them so that should not be a concern. What you do have to worry about is them dragging the imaging to wherever they are installed if you set the crossover frequency too high. They should play up to close to 200hz but above around 80hz you will be able to locate them.

yeah i know about it dragging the image but i plan on placing them in the front somehow. thanks for the freq. info that helped a lot. i think i'm going to get the Focal 100 KP's.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.