• Start date
  • Replies 1
  • Views 2K
    Participant count
  • Participant list
U

Unregistered

Hey all.

I blew my both Subs because I connected them to the cheap amp... I didnt expect that you can burn subs using amp which is rated at less then half of that subs should handle... anyways.

I got a quotation for the repairs of the subs.... it's almost as much as new subs. Since my payday is month away and I'm dying without my subs... is it possible to fix them by myslef ??? is the prosedure complicated and what kind of special equipment is neccesery ??? or am I completly out of line ???

Originally posted by Unregistered Hey all.

I blew my both Subs because I connected them to the cheap amp... I didnt expect that you can burn subs using amp which is rated at less then half of that subs should handle... anyways.

I got a quotation for the repairs of the subs.... it's almost as much as new subs. Since my payday is month away and I'm dying without my subs... is it possible to fix them by myslef ??? is the prosedure complicated and what kind of special equipment is neccesery ??? or am I completly out of line ???
First of all, underpowering is not what blew your subs. Overdriving an amp into clipping is likely what caused this.

This can happen in many ways, improper gain, volume, bass,treble, settings- etc.

When a woofer "blows" the windings in the voice coil are pushed farther apart than they would be under normal operation. This results in over-excurision beyond the motors mechanical limits- thus damaging the sub. Typically, a sub rebuild kit is the only way to repair this matter. The woofer will have to be dismantled, a new voice coil and spider assembly installed, and in some cases- even a new surround or cone- depending upon the severity. This is something that does not have a quick and easy home remedy. Depending upon your attatchment to these subs, I would highly suggest that they are simply replaced rather than rebuilt. The choice is up to you.

take it easy,

-zane

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.