First Week of Owning the SSA Evil

So this is the big boy! Again, this sub woofer comes in the same kind of box and crate, to secure shipping. This thing is an absolutely monster! So you have the ICON, that's really pin point accuracy, then you have the move out the way sound of the zcon, now with this, you have the immersive sound pressure that literally surrounds you with its destruction. From top to bottom, this thing rocks! I use to ask the question, does lets say, 150 decibels sound like 150 deciblesl in every vehicle. Finally with this sub woofer I can tell you HELL NO! This is such a different sound, that, myself have never experienced. I've been competing now going into my second year, and I've been to a lot of shows, listened to a lot of different setups, both big and small. Nothing has compared to this sub woofer.

The sound is so heavy, like, you can literally feel the pressure and air being pushed away in your vehicle, searching for a outlet. This is even crazier in my setup, I'm actually loudest sealed, and it sounds sooo good. When I roll down the windows, it creates a weak point in my roof, and everything just starts moving like crazy. Even from 20 feet away, you can hear this subtle boom...boom... sound that is very warm sounding, really hard to explain. It doesn't sound muffled, it isn't heavy on any side of the spectrum just a really loud bass in your face. I would say it sounds like the zcon had a baby with the icon, and added a bit of Thor's hammer in there and boom, you have the Evil.

I have absolutely no cons to this driver. Unless you want to consider things like the weight, or enclosure size. It is one of the costly sub woofer though. And not just by itself. You are going to want more power, which is more electrical, which is more cable, battery, alternator, etc. But two things, A) Its WELLL worth it, and B) This thing doesn't NEED a ton of power to get loud. I myself tested this and put 600 watts on it, and it sounded amazing!! I suppose the only other con would be the terminals. They are sill only 8 gauge, I thought maybe this is the only size maybe that is offered, but this isn't true. Its quite frustrating when placing large gauge wire to the sub. Not that its a deal breaker, especially in a daily scenario.

One thing is for sure, this thing can take some serious power. I find myself often want to turn it up more, but my electric is the only thing holding me back. The cooling is something amazing. Just this year, I took a 12 hour drive to FL for SBN2013, and I did NOT take it easy on this bad boy. I played hard, very hard for hours at a time, in about 83-90 degree weather, and this thing just kept hammering away. SSA did a great job on this one.

I'm very happy with this subwoofer. Especially after I made this video. I don't know many other subwoofers that can go down to 22hz full tilt on 5500 watts and still only be luck warm, no smell, and to never bottom out.

I dont know, like posted above.... I was expecting a bit more. Maybe b/c I hyped up this woofer in my tiny brain. The ads, and price tag all had me thinking this thing will be hands down better than most all out there. But watching the vids (which really doesnt mean much) it doesnt seem to move that much air? But we all know moving air entails much more than sub+ box. Shii like amps, electrical, volume, cabin, design... etc. But props to you bro, you took a risk on a new line of woofa(!!) and seem are happy with it!

did you say move air?

I dont know, like posted above.... I was expecting a bit more. Maybe b/c I hyped up this woofer in my tiny brain. The ads, and price tag all had me thinking this thing will be hands down better than most all out there. But watching the vids (which really doesnt mean much) it doesnt seem to move that much air? But we all know moving air entails much more than sub+ box. Shii like amps, electrical, volume, cabin, design... etc. But props to you bro, you took a risk on a new line of woofa(!!) and seem are happy with it!

Also, to me, it's more about the air that is being displaced, it's about how it feels man. Like, you just feel submerged by what this thing puts out. REALLY hard to describe. Image riding a rollercoaster through the ocean with no protection.

Also, to me, it's more about the air that is being displaced, it's about how it feels man. Like, you just feel submerged by what this thing puts out. REALLY hard to describe. Image riding a rollercoaster through the ocean with no protection.
Lol that sounds like a sick sub. Maybe one day ill be able to afford one. Haha

I'm assuming "10 a key" translates to "Tennessee"? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif if so, where abouts?

I'm assuming "10 a key" translates to "Tennessee"? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif if so, where abouts?
lmao yeah. Nashville. I go to all the MECA events here.

lmao yeah. Nashville. I go to all the MECA events here.
Ah you're about 3 to 4 hours away then. I would love to hear this beast...hardly ever travel that way though. I need to catch some events going on sometime though! Kind of got out of the audio scene for a while but still love to see sick setups.

Ah you're about 3 to 4 hours away then. I would love to hear this beast...hardly ever travel that way though. I need to catch some events going on sometime though! Kind of got out of the audio scene for a while but still love to see sick setups.
WOW! Thanks for calling my ride a sick setup! haha. Glad you think so man. There's usually one show a month here if you're ever interested.

I'd rather see sub on the left and a single port on the right.

---------- Post added at 01:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:11 AM ----------

Holy **** you're in Nashville! Me too!

---------- Post added at 01:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:11 AM ----------

And I drive and Explorer, but '03 and heavily modified.

WOW! Thanks for calling my ride a sick setup! haha. Glad you think so man. There's usually one show a month here if you're ever interested.
Big *** woofer + lots of power = sick to me! Lol I really need to come out that way and catch a show. Been into audio for a long time but never been around the comp scene or any big time setups.

---------- Post added at 01:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:11 AM ----------

---------- Post added at 01:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:11 AM ----------

What are you running in the explorer these days Buck?

We went with the dual port to achieve the sound I was looking for.

28923_10200607625781862_811045606_n.jpg

"I just wanted to throw this out there for you guys. This is Senchez enclosure in winisd. You can see where the response peaks out at about 40hz in winisd, and it is a bit different then the response modeled horn resp, but for the most part Horn resp and Winisd agree with each other. You can also see two very slightly different blue curves. The dark blue curve is the enclosure modeled with one vent at 128 square inches. The tuning comes out to 33.05hz. The light blue line shows two separate vents with a sum of 128 square inches and a tuning of 34.3hz. That is a difference of 1.25hz. I have to consider these things when designing enclosures for people, but for this and many other reasons, I don't like giving people some "exact tuning" frequency down to some hundredths of a decimal. It is absurd to do so."

I'm not following the logic about how the two vents is going to make a significant sound difference as far as response. I mean it looks nicer for sure, symmetrical, but in my experience, symmetry with single woofers usually yield slightly quieter results. Not to mention that there is more air contact because 2 ports has more internal surface area than 1 of the same port area. The air is contacting a lot more wood with two ports than with one while it is entering/exiting the box. Think of it in terms of drag.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.