First steps in custom audio

Participant count
  • Participant list

diddlediddle

France
Hi all,

I hope this is the correct place to post this. If not (mods) please move.

I'm going to spend a modest amount (under £600) on some speakers and a powered sub for my car. It's a small 3 door Clio (don't laugh).

Please note, I AM NOT trying to build some bone-shaking, blow out the windows system. I want to improve the standard units so that I can listen at higher volumes, with clarity. I enjoy music, I'm not looking to start a rave!

Because of space limitations, plus the desire to cut down on extra wiring, I've thus far decided to pair my new Alpine head unit with a Focal iBus 2.1 under-seat powered sub. I particularly like the fact that the wiring loom is designed to plug directly into the vehicle with no additional runs.

My speakers are what I'm having more trouble deciding. I can buy a mid priced set of 2-way or 3-way 130mm speakers, and install them in the door panels, using the controls on the sub to balance out some of the sound. Or, I could buy some component speakers and install the separate tweeters in the dash somewhere, and use the supplied crossovers to further tweak the sound.

Does anyone have any advice or opinions on my proposed upgrade? The reviews of the iBus make it sound like what I'm looking for i.e. something to just 'lift' the bottom end, not something to blow the windows out. Is it overkill in a small car and cheap-ish upgrade to even worry about separate tweeters? Are there any opinions on 2-way or 3-way door speakers? Would my choice matter because I am using a powered sub, they're not being run directly from the head unit?

Any and all suggestions most welcome

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.