First post and could use some direction.

Participant count
  • Participant list

hankhowdy1

Hello everyone, my name is Paul and I have some questions about my setup and plans coming up.

I am going to be buying some components this weekend and this is the main reason that I am here looking for some direction.

First, I will let you guys know what I'm running. I'm not running any crazy high end setup just some basic stuff.

My head unit is a Clarion CX505 22 watts rms x4.

The front stage is pair of Infinity Reference 6020 CS 6.5 2 ohm components. Powered by the head unit. Doors are deadened and somewhat sealed.

Sub stage is an ancient 10" JBL GT 1000 in mdf slot ported box that's amped at 150 watts rms at 2 ohms.

It's in a 2005 Kia Spectra SX sedan.

Nothing is blown or in bad repair and believe it or not it doesn't sound too bad.

I do have a couple issues that I would like to have your help with. The first one is I don't really like the front stage. I'm looking to replace the components this weekend. To me the infinity's do not have enough mid bass and the tweeters are really harsh.

My budget for components is $200. I'm looking at 3 sets at the moment and I would like some feedback on them or other suggestions. Morel Maximos, CDT CL-61 2 ohm and Hertz Audio DSK 165.3.

From what I've heard all have decent mid bass and the tweeters are not harsh.

If I had it my way I would not install an amp for these, but if I really have to in order to achieve the sound I'm looking for then so be it.

I do have a really old Optimus amp that's 50 rms x 2 at 4 ohms that's just sitting in my garage. Is worth using or should I spring for a new one?

Another issue I have is that the components that I'm looking at are too big for my doors. I can't run oversized 6.5 mids. The cut out diameter is 5.25.

I will have to use an MDF speaker ring and bolt it to the door and mount the mid to that. Shouldn't be a problem, right?

Forgot to mention what type of music I listen to.

I listen to doom metal, alternative, classic rock and hard rock.

Thanks for your time guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Without a doubt power those components before buying new ones. Also finish sealing your doors. Give the amplifier you have a try first, then if you still want more, go for a more powerful amp. These two things should make a huge difference in mid-bass and help blend in your tweeters better. If you have an option on your crossovers to attenuate the tweeters, do that. If you are still not satisfied then get new components. You will run into the same issues with another set of speakers.

Without a doubt power those components before buying new ones. Also finish sealing your doors. Give the amplifier you have a try first, then if you still want more, go for a more powerful amp. These two things should make a huge difference in mid-bass and help blend in your tweeters better. If you have an option on your crossovers to attenuate the tweeters, do that. If you are still not satisfied then get new components. You will run into the same issues with another set of speakers.
Thanks for the ideas.

The crossovers do have a 0db and -3db. On -3db the tweeters distort really bad and have hardly any output, so I have to leave it at 0db.

I don't get why the factory speakers had more mid bass. Like the kind for a tight kick drum.

Thanks again.

I'm just going to spring for a new amp. I want to replace the components too.

Can someone who has experience with some of the previously mentioned component sets chime in their opinion on them? Thanks.

The tweeters should not distort at -3dB. If anything that should be the setting where they distort the least. There is something wrong going on there.

The factory speakers most likely had more response due to them being designed specifically for the factory head unit and the car. I see this quite often. Make sure your doors are sealed, and that there is butyl rope between the baffle and the door, and also the baffle and speaker, or a foam ring between the baffle and speaker. Many factory speakers have a type of F.A.S.T. ring around them which helps quite a bit to get the sound directly out of the door panel. I would suggest purchasing F.A.S.T. rings as well.

Honestly, most people on this forum will probably not have much experience with those brands. You may be better off asking on DIYMA.

You need to run active and get better sound processing. You cant do jack with a 3 band eq.

Ive been through your shoes once man. Thought that too many tweets were harsh. After many speaker swaps, it just turns out that a proper SQ head unit fixes everything.

I doubt any one on here runs Morel, maybe a few people with Hertz and CDT. This forum seems to have a lot of SPL guy and people fairly new to the hobby. Where as on DIYMA is more geared to SQ guys and people with quite a bit of experience with the SQ brands.

I doubt any one on here runs Morel, maybe a few people with Hertz and CDT. This forum seems to have a lot of SPL guy and people fairly new to the hobby. Where as on DIYMA is more geared to SQ guys and people with quite a bit of experience with the SQ brands.
Oh cool. Thanks. Perhaps this isn't the place for me. For me SQ>SPL.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.