First high powered build questions

Participant count
  • Participant list

logiball
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Whats up CA.com,

I have a buddy who wants me to put together a big boy system for him, my first big set up.

He is wanting multiple 15's, so we have narrowed it down(because of budget) to 2 or 3 quality drivers. We are looking at DC, Ascendant and SD Nightshades. Here is my question: Which would be louder: 3 DC XL 15s on 3K a piece or 2 DC LVL5 15s on 4500ish a piece? I understand that 3 15s will have more cone area then 2 15s(obviously) but I have no experience with this big boy stuff....yet.....and could use some advice.

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. Electrical will be more than sufficient and please don't flame my brands.

It's really hard to tell you. Depends on the build as a whole what car / truck are you working with ? I assume it's gonna be a wall ! Also I need to know electrical amps pretty much everything your planning on doing. Is this for competition or demos and daily ?

It's really hard to tell you. Depends on the build as a whole what car / truck are you working with ? I assume it's gonna be a wall ! Also I need to know electrical amps pretty much everything your planning on doing. Is this for competition or demos and daily ?
Yeah sorry for being vague. Daily, might termlab some music every now and again, at least 2 350A alts and 4 batts. this is all going in a mid 90s burban. We havent decided on a wall or a boxes yet, and amp(s) will probably be a dc 9k or a couple SAZ 5000s. Still very very early in the planning stages of this and just looking for a little guidance.

If this guy doesn't really know what he's doing, don't even consider running 3-4K per sub. He will break them and you'll look like an arsehole.

I'd also highly recommend a pair of proven reliable 5K amps over a "10K". Those big boards are sketchy IMO and a brutal repair + shipping when they break. Also if you do break a 5K you still have the second one so you have tunes when it's out getting fixed.

Yeah sorry for being vague. Daily, might termlab some music every now and again, at least 2 350A alts and 4 batts. this is all going in a mid 90s burban. We havent decided on a wall or a boxes yet, and amp(s) will probably be a dc 9k or a couple SAZ 5000s. Still very very early in the planning stages of this and just looking for a little guidance.
Well I can help with all the equipment if needed. And even give you a package deal on everything. Alts. Batts wire. Subs amps. Speakers everything we did a 90s Burban a while back. 6. 18s 4 stetsom 7kd amps. Was doing 160s very easy Answer to your question is 3 - 15s should be louder provided they can take the power like the 2 if your thinking dc the lvl 5 pound for pound us the best sub dc makes.at any power That comes directly from their sub builder now if your doing a wall. I'd either do 2 lvl 5. 18s in a slot port drivers side or a 4th order. Or I'd go with 4 subs 2 level 5-18s on a dc 9k can get really loud if done right

---------- Post added at 09:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 PM ----------

If this guy doesn't really know what he's doing, don't even consider running 3-4K per sub. He will break them and you'll look like an arsehole.
I'd also highly recommend a pair of proven reliable 5K amps over a "10K". Those big boards are sketchy IMO and a brutal repair + shipping when they break. Also if you do break a 5K you still have the second one so you have tunes when it's out getting fixed.
True very true

Hispls

Ill be setting gains with a scope and then breaking off the knob so he cant mess with it(not really)

mylows10

Yes Im really leaning towards a 4th order, and I really really really like everything I have seen about the level 5's.

Thank you guys for the info, I will definitely consider all of it as I'm putting this ish together.

Well I can help with all the equipment if needed. And even give you a package deal on everything. Alts. Batts wire. Subs amps. Speakers everything we did a 90s Burban a while back. 6. 18s 4 stetsom 7kd amps. Was doing 160s very easy Answer to your question is 3 - 15s should be louder provided they can take the power like the 2 if your thinking dc the lvl 5 pound for pound us the best sub dc makes.at any power That comes directly from their sub builder now if your doing a wall. I'd either do 2 lvl 5. 18s in a slot port drivers side or a 4th order. Or I'd go with 4 subs 2 level 5-18s on a dc 9k can get really loud if done right 

---------- Post added at 09:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 PM ----------

True very true
If you're not ready to warranty those LV5's on 5K clipped to **** signal YOU will look like the arsehole when this guy breaks them. I've seen a few LV5V1's and LV6's broken on 5K. You don't want to touch this with a 10 foot pole.

If you're set on DC products you should be looking more towards 6 LV4 12's for cone area + enough coils to spread around the heat.

Hispls
Ill be setting gains with a scope and then breaking off the knob so he cant mess with it(not really)

mylows10

Yes Im really leaning towards a 4th order, and I really really really like everything I have seen about the level 5's.

Thank you guys for the info, I will definitely consider all of it as I'm putting this ish together.

Gains have nothing to do with it! 4KW will burn up any coil out there period. If you can't get an in-writing no ******** no cost to you warranty at those power levels do not buy! I'm pretty confident you won't find a manufacturer that will warranty throwing 4000W continuous power to a woofer.

Gains have nothing to do with it! 4KW will burn up any coil out there period. If you can't get an in-writing no ******** no cost to you warranty at those power levels do not buy! I'm pretty confident you won't find a manufacturer that will warranty throwing 4000W continuous power to a woofer.
You are correct there you might find one or two companies that may do it once but not twice. Op. I suggest you and your buddy go to some shows and look at some really big builds A big system isn't as easy as some may thing and can be dangerous if not careful not something that and inexperienced person should do with out hands on help from a veteran installer

BUT ILL TURN THE BASS BOOST OFF HISPLS!!! lol

Which is why I came here, thats great advice to someone who has never hooked up more then 1500w, and why I'm doing all my homework well in advance to purchasing for him. So the budget is going to be around $4500 for everything so thats what I have to work with.

BUT ILL TURN THE BASS BOOST OFF HISPLS!!!Which is why I came here, thats great advice to someone who has never hooked up more then 1500w, and why I'm doing all my homework well in advance to purchasing for him. So the budget is going to be around $4500 for everything so thats what I have to work with.
That's not a very good budget for a really big system. Amps alone are gonna be close to half of that. So say $1100 per amp. Then 4 lvl 18s at 380 each. That's another $1200. 2 alts $1150 There's your budget right there. Still no batts. Wire deck or box

Realistically a 3500 watt rms system is prolly what your looking at here For instance. A aq 3500 $1000 2 - 18s $700-$800 alt $569 batts $200 - $360 each. Wire $800 this is about $4200 that leaves $300 for the box

BUT ILL TURN THE BASS BOOST OFF HISPLS!!! lolWhich is why I came here, thats great advice to someone who has never hooked up more then 1500w, and why I'm doing all my homework well in advance to purchasing for him. So the budget is going to be around $4500 for everything so thats what I have to work with.

I'm afraid that money isn't going to stretch too far after wire, batteries, alternator(s), and boxbuilding materials. You'd best be willing to shop used or go a lot less power. Perhaps you should be looking into some low power/high cone area if you plan to wall and have the volume?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.