First car, need good sound. Any advice?

Participant count
  • Participant list

PromOPMYE

I am getting my first car this weekend, and have some left over money to put some audio in it. I dont want nothing big, just some new speakers that have a good deep sound, with good quality. My friends have given me some help, and this is what I have come down too.

Its an 02 Grand Am. Back speakers are 6x9 and the front are 4x6. Right now I just want some rear tweeters and a head unit.

These are what I am looking at for the speakers, Kenwood KFC-6984PS

and need advice on a head unit. I have around $150. Any advice will help. THANK YOU!

@ $150 you can find a fairly good headunit you should be happy with. Your best bet would be to somehow get a good 6.5" comp set in the fronts and a pair of midbass (and tweets if you like bright highs) on a good 4 channel amp to be truly happy IMO. Unless you buy used you probably should save just a little more and try to do it right the first time. If you blow the money from the get-go on what is right in front of you without finding out what you really think WILL satisfy you, you can end up spending much more in the long run than just getting what you should have in the first place.

Also, I have yet to be any kind of impressed by Kenwood speakers, subs, or amps... Just my .02 though and I'm 1 of 1000's here @ this site.

ok. What would you suggest? For right now I can really only afford some rear speakers and a head unit. Like i said I dont want some crazy sound machine riding through town, I just want something better then stock with a good quality

ok. What would you suggest? For right now I can really only afford some rear speakers and a head unit. Like i said I dont want some crazy sound machine riding through town, I just want something better then stock with a good quality
Dont waste money one rear speakers... Just get a decent deck with 3 sets of RCA preouts and a set of components for the front

I would suggest saving your money for now and reading around this site. You will get a feel for what people generally recommend, and will be able to afford better equipment later. I know you want things now, but it will pay off in the end. Browse this forum, and start up another thread in a month or so. For the most part, I think you'll be happier, especially if you are doing the install yourself.

Don't waist your money on rear speakers right now.

If your going to slowly do it start off with a GOOD headunit. Don't buy cheap, you get what you pay for in the audio world.

You would be amazed how much just a good headunit will change your system. Spend that 150-200 on a headunit. Trust me.

Now, it comes down to if your going to eventually amp these speakers or not.

For the front speakers, depending on if you want to buy rings so you can run 5" or bigger speakers, get some Boston Acoustics. They sound great not amped.

Now, if your going to amp them eventually you can use the Boston's, but I would recommend something that uses more power.

Boston Acoustics 746 (ba746) 4" x 6" 2-way Plate Speakers - Had these in my camaro, and they sound great, PLUS they are stock size. No cutting, no adding rings, nothing. They are small, but they put out the sound you'll want.

For the rears I would suggest some 6.5's with rings. To me, 6.5's just sound much much better than 6x9's.

Make sure if your going to use 4x6 speakers for the front, whether or not you buy the Boston's I suggested, get a component speaker. They sound better than coaxles.

Again, this is just my 02 cents.

message me if you need any advice whatsoever. I'm all for budget systems, but keep in mind you always get what you pay for. Unless its used, or on sale. Then your just awesome because discounts are always nice.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.