finishing a box...

Participant count
  • Participant list

ndnbolla
10+ year member

Jigga what?
paradise
Hey guys,

i'm in the process of finishing my box and finished my final layer of primer (4th one). I sanded it down (150 grit) however there are still some creases left from the paint brush I was using (spray cans emptied to quickly).

Do I have to get rid of these creases now or can I do it later in the painting stages.

Also would it be better to use one of those electrical spray guns like the wagner ones to paint the box.

Or is their someway I can paint these without the creases showing up?

Thanks, any help is appreciated.

Use some high build polyester primer in the rattle cans. I believe duplicolor makes it. Spray it over the creases kinda thick to fill them in. Then let it dry completely. Anything that shows in primer will show in the paint as well. Stay far , far away from the wagner power painter. Not what you want for this project . If you don't have a compressor and a gun, I would rattle can it. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

so spray cans are the best way to go huh.

how bout i get something like this,

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=misc%2fsearchResults.jsp&BV_SessionID=@@@@1033479800.1132173889@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccfcaddgfeghimlcgelceffdfgidglo.0&MID=9876

edit: doesn't link to product, search for this:

Campbell Hausfeld

High Volume/Low Pressure Paint Sprayer

or this http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=03015529000

would that work or is it the same thing as a wagner.

so spray cans are the best way to go huh.
how bout i get something like this,

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=misc%2fsearchResults.jsp&BV_SessionID=@@@@1033479800.1132173889@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccfcaddgfeghimlcgelceffdfgidglo.0&MID=9876

edit: doesn't link to product, search for this:

Campbell Hausfeld

High Volume/Low Pressure Paint Sprayer

or this http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=03015529000

would that work or is it the same thing as a wagner.
that thing at sears isnt gonna work well either. Get spray paint...

i guess ill just have to get the spray paint but **** its going to be expensive for me in the end. 5 bucks a bottle

ah well you get out what you put in right.

or.... maybe i can go out a rent one of those paint compressor things. we'll see how things work out.

thanks for the help though. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Yep, if you don't have a compressor rattle cans are the best option. With proper prep, application, and finish work. You can get some pretty amazing results with spray paint. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

so i just picked up some of that dupli color high build spray paint primer. however it is grey as opposed to the white kilz primer I already have on the box.

would the final results have any negative effects since the primer would have different variation of colors, white/grey.

i wouldn't think so but you never know since i am pretty new to this stuff.

Shouldn't, after you finish filling in. Just spray lightly over the white if you want to //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Since you picked that primer up before noon, I'm gonna assume you sprayed it already.

But I will tell you the steps I would recommend anyways.

Sand the Kilz primer down with 150, then 200.

Then spray the Duplicolor Filler Primer on there. get it even through out and then really get it into all the spots that stand out. Like the pin holes and scratches.

You will probally need 2 to 3 cans as I have not seen what you are spraying.

Don't be afraid to cake the primer into the low spots.

When you have it all done, allow it to fully dry over night. Then use some flat black and mist it over the box. This will show you the low spots duing your sanding.

Then wet-sand with 200 grit till all the black is gone. If you have flat areas, I suggest a paint stick wrapped with sand paper so your fingers don't leave dips.

If you sand through the primer to get the low spots, primer it back up and do it again. Not the whole thing, but the areas around it till it is all flat.

Then again wet-sand with 400 softly, then clean it real good and prep it for paint.

Nope, I didn't do it yesterday since it was way too cold, all of a sudden got into the 40s this week. I might start it up today however its still very cold. I'll definetly use some of those tips dbornotdb.

I am contemplating whether I should even finish it or not right now. I think I might give it one more 150 and then 220 grit sanding and smooth out the most I can and then just leave til next spring. I just can't drive without that bass anymore, lol.

If the coldness doesn't really effect the painting then I could just continue.

Temperature and humidity both affect paint.Paint deosn't like Low temps especially. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Thats kind of what I wanted to hear ramos. As much as I would like to finish the box, I would rather have it come out perfect than have any regrets later on. Plus the fact that its a ***** working in the cold weather. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Keeping the bear primer exposed while the box is in use won't have any harmful effects on it either right.

Nah, just don't nick it up and undo what you have done so far //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.