Fiberglassing didn't go so well... help.

you could also try to work without gloves, it wont stick to ur skin.....

i never do glass work with gloves or anything on just wash ur hands when ur done with laquer thinner and they wont be sticky anymore

i think your biggest problem is that you are trying to lay this glass upside down while its soaking wet.

you need to use the least amount of resin as possible. and also another tip - get like a 2" chip brush from the store, and cut the bristles down like 1\2 way so they are stiffer. this helps poke the bubbles out.

so when you lay this glass, you need to rip a bunch of pieces of your fiberglass, then coat the surface lightly so the glass sticks, and put your pieces down. then using as little resin as possible, poke and prod the glass until it soaks through while working the glass with a stippling technique.

i never do glass work with gloves or anything on just wash ur hands when ur done with laquer thinner and they wont be sticky anymore
not to mention mekp burns your skin //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

Man fark that chit. Women waxing their legs looks painful enough. I sure as hell don't need to wax my hairy ass arms lol //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

meh ive never had a problem and did numerous glassing projects.... **** doesnt even make me itchy like people complain about. i dunno all peoples skins are different, mine usally does not get irritated verry easily by chemicals or other outside eliments

i think your biggest problem is that you are trying to lay this glass upside down while its soaking wet.
you need to use the least amount of resin as possible. and also another tip - get like a 2" chip brush from the store, and cut the bristles down like 1\2 way so they are stiffer. this helps poke the bubbles out.

so when you lay this glass, you need to rip a bunch of pieces of your fiberglass, then coat the surface lightly so the glass sticks, and put your pieces down. then using as little resin as possible, poke and prod the glass until it soaks through while working the glass with a stippling technique.
I think we have a winner! I'm going to try this technique with the last couple tubes I have of hardener, I'll make smaller batches though.

I read that I should do all the layers at once and it would be easier. I don't think that applies to what I'm doing though, the third layer didn't stick at all.

I have some cloth mat as well, I was going to use it for a rear deck cover, but I'll do anything to make fiberglassing this box work better.

I think we have a winner! I'm going to try this technique with the last couple tubes I have of hardener, I'll make smaller batches though.
I read that I should do all the layers at once and it would be easier. I don't think that applies to what I'm doing though, the third layer didn't stick at all.

I have some cloth mat as well, I was going to use it for a rear deck cover, but I'll do anything to make fiberglassing this box work better.

It is better ( especially in cooler weather) to do as many layers at a time as you can manage. It helps hold heat, for a better, quicker cure. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.