fiberglass 6x9

Participant count
  • Participant list

jellyfish420
10+ year member

i design boxes .......
STL ill side
i think i'm going to try to glass my 6x9's in. i have a question, on the side walls in the back seat, there is a pocket, i have the 6x9 there now with a piece of wood, w/ long screws threw it. if i was to glass it i would make my ring and glue it it w/ dowels, right. how thick of a ring would i need? i wouldn't think that thick, not high power, just off the hu. how many layers do i need? and most important, how do i attach the fleece to the vinal? it's not going to be removable, and there is no back or sides, i'm going to use the panel as the back. i will try to get back later w/ some pics to show you what i'm working with. thanx in advance for any help.

i think i'm going to try to glass my 6x9's in. i have a question, on the side walls in the back seat, there is a pocket, i have the 6x9 there now with a piece of wood, w/ long screws threw it. if i was to glass it i would make my ring and glue it it w/ dowels, right. how thick of a ring would i need? i wouldn't think that thick, not high power, just off the hu. how many layers do i need? and most important, how do i attach the fleece to the vinal? it's not going to be removable, and there is no back or sides, i'm going to use the panel as the back. i will try to get back later w/ some pics to show you what i'm working with. thanx in advance for any help.
MDF ring:

Couple ways to do this... two rings of half inch mdf. Make one the size of 6x9 and put screw holes in it (plus gasket) and then another ring, slightly larger, to get the speaker flush. Glue/screw them together and then fleece.

OR

Make one ring out of 3/4 mdf. Simplest, surest way.

As far as the layers of fiberglass, 2-3 layers after fleecing will be good. To attach the fleece to the existing panel, for a PERMANENT application, just use spray adhesive (no hot glue, unless you want lumps). Then soak the fleece in resin.

For rigidity and to get a good airtight bond, you might want to glass one layer on the doorpanel before you mount the mdf ring and fleece.

One problem you will encounter will be having to trim the excess... it would probably be easier to tape off everything, glass the back, mount ring/fleece, glass the front, and pull it out. Bondo+paint it, then you can permanently mount it in place (epoxy)

here is a pic of what im working with. i'm just getting tired of looking at that crappy wood,
000_0508.jpg

I'd wait to upgrade from stock speakers before implementing anything permanent... right now, I'd just paint the wood, seal it nicer, and call it a day.

yep, old ass xplod. i feal quit lucky they havent xplod-ed yet. i'm getting better ones, but i don't want to shove nice speakers in the crappy wood.

are you gonna go with some CTDs or some 5.25s or 6.5s? or are you gonna stay with 6x9's?

i think you should plan what you want to do with your new speakers before you make new mounts for crappy speakers with the cones all dented like that =P

id say get new speakers, be it 5.25s or 6.5's and make nice fiberglass panel for them. thats my 2c

ya my kid did that, i never thought about 5.25s only ting like that. thanks formentioning that. that open a whole new door. and i was going to start tommorow.

what would be some good 5.25 or 6.5's for around 90-100shipped? would seperate comps be better or just a two way? i listen to rap alot so my system just has highs and lows. thats one reason i cant listen to rock anymore, no midbass.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.