Fi Team?

My brother has two. They are straight ******* monsters. He has them on an Ampere 7500 right now and they take every bit of power and want more.

I just bought one so we'll see how it does.

This should be the last big sub I purchase... unless I want two... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif

the team aa was basically the end of the line for me, only thing id do is go to two team aa's or get two of the fi q neos to up the cone area and keep the same power

i really dont like the new machining on the updated fi subs but im not an expert on magnetic flux - although it should be pretty obvious that the absorption and way its handled is effected by the bottom plate design and they've cut a lot of cost in that area. glad i got my team aa before they changed over. ive heard that the motor force is less now, but thats my research on the sp4 v2 vs v1

the team aa was basically the end of the line for me, only thing id do is go to two team aa's or get two of the fi q neos to up the cone area and keep the same power
i really do like the new machining on the updated fi subs but im not an expert on magnetic flux - although it should be pretty obvious that the absorption and way its handled is effected by the bottom plate design and they've cut a lot of cost in that area. glad i got my team aa before they changed over. ive heard that the motor force is less now, but thats my research on the sp4 v2 vs v1
I was looking for some V1s and there was a pair on CACO but the sellers has been offline for a good while.

Oh well, we'll see how it turns out.

Hopefully I can somewhat properly power this thing with my amp.

i really dont like the new machining on the updated fi subs but im not an expert on magnetic flux - although it should be pretty obvious that the absorption and way its handled is effected by the bottom plate design and they've cut a lot of cost in that area. glad i got my team aa before they changed over. ive heard that the motor force is less now, but thats my research on the sp4 v2 vs v1
From what I've been told by experts, you really start to hit the point of diminishing returns just adding more material to the motor. Most of these super-duper subs must sacrifice a lot of efficiency just by using enormous coils (so that people can brag about how much power they can take).

Think about it, if another 15" woofer is moving 36mm peak to peak on 1500w and yours is moving 36mm peak to peak with 3000W, the only reason you're running 3000W is so that you can tell your buddies that you are running 3000W.

Anyway, bigger coil requires not only a heavier coil, but a wider gap. Magnetic force requires some pretty hairy math, but the distance has an exponential effect on magnetic force... you can see this for yourself by taking two small magnets and moving them together slowly or trying to hold them apart from each other just a hair vs an inch apart.

That all said, most of these "team" subs are a pretty fair tradeoff of efficiency for power handling though much of the power handling is only for the sake of power handling itself, and if you're limited to a single 12 I'd say any of them would be a good solution for what you're trying to accomplish.

From what I've been told by experts, you really start to hit the point of diminishing returns just adding more material to the motor. Most of these super-duper subs must sacrifice a lot of efficiency just by using enormous coils (so that people can brag about how much power they can take).
Think about it, if another 15" woofer is moving 36mm peak to peak on 1500w and yours is moving 36mm peak to peak with 3000W, the only reason you're running 3000W is so that you can tell your buddies that you are running 3000W.

Anyway, bigger coil requires not only a heavier coil, but a wider gap. Magnetic force requires some pretty hairy math, but the distance has an exponential effect on magnetic force... you can see this for yourself by taking two small magnets and moving them together slowly or trying to hold them apart from each other just a hair vs an inch apart.

That all said, most of these "team" subs are a pretty fair tradeoff of efficiency for power handling though much of the power handling is only for the sake of power handling itself, and if you're limited to a single 12 I'd say any of them would be a good solution for what you're trying to accomplish.
you make a lot of good points here, and i agree with you, especially on the aspect of efficiency. basic physics says that distance when relating to air pressurization, magnetic flux, etc, is an exponential relationship and thats a big thing people need to keep in mind. my only real comment is that you'll rarely ever reach that 36mm peak to peak on music and it wont be a problem unless you're talking about a huge port and tuned setup and then at that point you're out of usable bandwidth anyways

ive seen ~4-5kw rms being just about perfect for the max the team aa can handle for short periods of time but again, this can be really dependent on enclosure design

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Mayhem

Tiddies
Mayhem
Gainesville, VA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from