Fi Q Neo and Fi SP4v2

wow, im surprised to hear this.

I was under the impression that if your sub was facing forward, (its going to be close to the back seat) and your port is toward the rear of your vehicle, you get cancellation issues as the back wave is out of sync with the front since they are emitting from locations like 3 or 4 ft apart from each other.

The wave is not towards the rear its to the side and the trunk is pretty big, the box is as far back closed to the rear trunk lid as possible. Not that close to the seats

wow, im surprised to hear this.

I was under the impression that if your sub was facing forward, (its going to be close to the back seat) and your port is toward the rear of your vehicle, you get cancellation issues as the back wave is out of sync with the front since they are emitting from locations like 3 or 4 ft apart from each other.

I've had success with subs forward ports to the back (crx style) in the trunk. Its not a daily setup and I haven't tried any other orientations in that particular vehicle but I did 144db with 2 $18 10s with minimal testing so I call that successful.

The wave is not towards the rear its to the side and the trunk is pretty big, the box is as far back closed to the rear trunk lid as possible. Not that close to the seats

My trunk isnt very big (Neon). Max dimensions is 7 cubes net before port displacement. Im gonna need to use all the space i can get. The front baffle would be 24" from the back of the box next to the trunk wall so not 3 or 4 feet apart like i previously said.

Attachments

• 20191114_155655.jpg
    20191114_155655.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 281
My trunk isnt very big (Neon). Max dimensions is 7 cubes net before port displacement. Im gonna need to use all the space i can get. The front baffle would be 24" from the back of the box next to the trunk wall so not 3 or 4 feet apart like i previously said.
well we wont know about your car unless extensive testing is done with a meter. We always thought subs and port rear was the way to go in my buddy's altima until we built a box with removeable ports in different orientations and found our sweet spot.

I've had success with subs forward ports to the back (crx style) in the trunk. Its not a daily setup and I haven't tried any other orientations in that particular vehicle but I did 144db with 2 $18 10s with minimal testing so I call that successful.

This just goes to show how little i know about this stuff. I cant comprehend how $36 of subs could hit 144db.

well we wont know about your car unless extensive testing is done with a meter. We always thought subs and port rear was the way to go in my buddy's altima until we built a box with removeable ports in different orientations and found our sweet spot.
The only way i could see testing different orientations of the sub/port position is if i built a box for just one 12. The trunk opening is small so i have to build in the trunk. I dont think i would have the space to move a box with two 12s around in different positions.

However, in terms of making the most of the real estate... subs forward, port to the side would allow my box to be built all the way to the rear of trunk wall. If the subs were facing to the rear, the box would have to be pulled back from the rear trunk wall to leave some space for the subs to fire into and id lose some precious volume.

Is this the idea of where the port would be when you say on the side?

Attachments

• trunk layout.jpg
    trunk layout.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 160
It's all in the box, not so much the equipment. I did a few tricks to guide airflow inside and there's still more I would like add. I just haven't had the time for testing but I know there's more in it.

Well why in the world am i thinking about buying 2 $600 dollar subs? I need to learn how to make a bad ass box! Lol

I bwenynfrom 157.8 to 15
Depends on the car but the loudest in my buddys altima was sub forward port to the side box as far close to the trunk as possible, 152 db at 38hz on a 12k. He also build a solid plywood loading wall to the side where the port is loading. Porting through the rear deck even sealing everything off was the weakest setup, like high 130s. Sub and port rear was 148.
Well why in the world am i thinking about buying 2 $600 dollar subs? I need to learn how to make a bad ass box! Lol

All bs aside for the money you gonna spend on a sp4 I can build you something that will walk an sp4. It's small step above the fi team. You could do a bass 8k on it for daily.

I have some Kevlar pulp infused spl style cones/surrounds and a high density wound voice coils for a high bl. Xmax is only about 22mm but it's a stright up pressure BEAST. 93DB 1W,1M AND EILL TAKE 10K for burps with EASE

When it comes to testing how a sub/port location sounds in different locations in a trunk, do you think the results would be relative whether it is a high output 2500 rms sub or just a 500 rms sub?

My thought is simply that there is a lot I don't know about building an optimal setup in my car and asking questions on here can only get me so far. Maybe a good idea would be for me to just get a cheap low powered sub, build my own box with adjustable ports, and experiment with it in different locations in trunk. I would get some practice with box building and I could use one of my mids/highs amps to push it so I'm not spending any extra money on an amp I won't use again.

You can see the point of my original question now. For example, if I find that firing a 500w sub and port into corner of trunk is best, would I likely experience the same thing with a 2500w sub?

I kinda just want to start trying some stuff out so I can just learn for myself and don't have to bother you guys with so many questions.

When it comes to testing how a sub/port location sounds in different locations in a trunk, do you think the results would be relative whether it is a high output 2500 rms sub or just a 500 rms sub?

My thought is simply that there is a lot I don't know about building an optimal setup in my car and asking questions on here can only get me so far. Maybe a good idea would be for me to just get a cheap low powered sub, build my own box with adjustable ports, and experiment with it in different locations in trunk. I would get some practice with box building and I could use one of my mids/highs amps to push it so I'm not spending any extra money on an amp I won't use again.

You can see the point of my original question now. For example, if I find that firing a 500w sub and port into corner of trunk is best, would I likely experience the same thing with a 2500w sub?

I kinda just want to start trying some stuff out so I can just learn for myself and don't have to bother you guys with so many questions.
yes it'll be the same, it translates to the exact same results if the subs used and box tuning are similar in specs.

but if its vastly different subs and box tunings then it might be slightly off.

yes it'll be the same, it translates to the exact same results if the subs used and box tuning are similar in specs.

but if its vastly different subs and box tunings then it might be slightly off.

Thanks. I appreciate all the insight you offer.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.