Feedback on my scheduled build (IDMAX, JL HD Amp, German Maestros).

Participant count
  • Participant list

jd5331

Hi,

I’m scheduled to install the below equipment this Friday. Looking for some feedback on my equipment choices. It’s going into my 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I purchased the head unit and amp already, but the other equipment I have not purchased yet but intend to from the installer on Friday. I’m mainly looking for SQ, but like to turn it up on occasion.

Equipment

- Head unit: Pioneer AVIC Z140BH

- Amp: JL HD 900/5

- Front stage: German Maestro SV 6509

- Rear fill: German Maestro CS 6509

- Sub: 10” Image Dynamics IDMAX in a custom fiber enclosure

I got the Pioneer and JL HD amp from an authorized dealer at a fantastic price. I only mention this because I know some might say I could do better for the money. But I really did score on these two items. I’m a little concerned that I might be under powering the IDMAX 10”, my installer thinks so as well. My thought is...with 500 watts it should get decently loud, and I could always change the amp later versus the sub which will be a permanent fixture (the other option was to go with an IDQ).

Anyway looking forward to feedback and critiques.

Thanks,

Jason

Under powering a sub is completely fine. I think your equipment will do well, I don't have any experience with those German Maestro speakers but I've seen good reviews on their products before.

I agree that it should sound good and perform very well. German Maestro really cares about their business and their products should back up that passion.

Dropped off the Jeep yesterday. Will pick her up Monday afternoon. I called the installer today and he said everything is going great. I can't wait to see how it turns out. Will post a review of the new set up.

The install turned out fantastic. Everything is concealed and the workmanship is flawless. Really like how it turned out.

The German Meastros are amazing. So detailed and airy sounding. And I love the sound stage...can distinctly make out instruments in recordings. Mid bass is decent too. Not as powerful as Focal K2Ps from what I remember but it definitely has a punchy presence. I'm really liking the Maestros. They might be the best part of the system.

I'm still trying to get the IDMAX dialed in. Sounds great on a lot of songs but sometimes can sound a bit localized and a tad boomy. I don't know if it's the box (too small, possibly a leak) or maybe just cabin gain being that it's a SUV. The shop is going to take a look at it. But even as is I'm still really happy with the performance.

And no issues with the amp. Runs cool and does its job. Happy I went with the JL HD.

I'm still trying to get the IDMAX dialed in. Sounds great on a lot of songs but sometimes can sound a bit localized and a tad boomy. I don't know if it's the box (too small, possibly a leak) or maybe just cabin gain being that it's a SUV. The shop is going to take a look at it. But even as is I'm still really happy with the performance.
Cut frequencies around 50-80 Hz if you can do that on the Z140BH. Boomy bass is caused by a peak in the frequency response response. Cabin gain naturally boosts the low bass frequencies. It starts at a frequency dependent on the overall size of the cabin and it's generally considered to be a 12 dB/octave gain. In an SUV cabin gain starts at a lower frequency than in a small car, so I doubt it's the main cause of the problem.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll see if my deck will allow me to HPF the sub channel -- I think it only does a LPF though. And the subsonic setting on my JL HD amp goes up to 30 Hz. But I'll tinker with it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.