Favorite Box Building Materials/Tricks......

Go to Menards or maybe a cabinet shop(probably more expensive)I haven't found it at any of the other places commonly checked (Lowes,HD).But if you look down the sides and front you can see little check marks where there is missing wood it should be solid all the way around.This is why it is sooo much more then the stuff from Lowes.If strenght is the only reason for using BB and your just building a standard box I would just use MDF and some good bracing and call it a day you will save alot of money.But if your building a wall or a big 24ft3 box then weight starts to come into play and this is where I would use BB.

Ive experimented with marble and granite with an outter shell of MDF before and had pretty good success. Duralining of enclosures is also something I like to do that seals it up and gives the box a killer durable finish.

Ive experimented with marble and granite with an outter shell of MDF before and had pretty good success. Duralining of enclosures is also something I like to do that seals it up and gives the box a killer durable finish.
you ever line the inside too?

I dont think you would want to line the inside.You want that to be as smooth as possible.

Yeah granite sounds like it would be a good altenative to concrete if the price wasnt so killer!!I like the idea though.....

bla bla bla.

mdf, ply, birch, whatever.

just use WOOD GLUE and not liquid nails or any of that other crap. use glue MADE to chemically glue other woods together, not 'jack of all trade glue like gorilla glue.

thats my 2 cents.

There is an article in a woodworking magazine I read that proved wood glue was stronger than gorilla glue.

check the audiojunkies site, it may be archived there.

i LOVE the flush trim bit for my router... especially if cuts are a little off... just get things square and trim off the excess //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Wood glue is a must. Like req said, it is actually made to bond wood, so why would you use anything else?

Predrill and coutersink

IMO, a router is one of the best tools you can have. It has the ability to do so many different things... cut holes, roundover port edges (or edges of box), rabbet and grooves (like in my carpeting tutorial), make perfect patterns/edges (flush trim bit), and much more really.

But I would say that most important thing you can do to build a good box, is slow down and take your time. If you are rushing through it, you will not have as good of results. Take your time when making your cuts, predrilling, and when lining up your edges. Patience will help you build a much nicer enclosure.

I dont think you would want to line the inside.You want that to be as smooth as possible.Yeah granite sounds like it would be a good altenative to concrete if the price wasnt so killer!!I like the idea though.....
There is no reason the inside of an enclosure needs to be smooth. As a matter of fact, the more irrgularly shaped the interior is, the more it will break up rear standing waves. Although in a sub enclosure that's gbenerally not a big issue, to say you want it as smooth as possible just isn't correct.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.