farad wiring help

Participant count
  • Participant list

hondamanwill
10+ year member

I have a Zeus Z8000 and a 1 farad cap and my lights still dim. Just wanting to know if i have it hooked up right. +/- off amp to cap. and from cap to either + or -. Is this right? and should I get a 1 more battery or another cap? I'm going //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif

Originally posted by hondamanwill I have a Zeus Z8000 and a 1 farad cap and my lights still dim. Just wanting to know if i have it hooked up right. +/- off amp to cap. and from cap to either + or -. Is this right? and should I get a 1 more battery or another cap? I'm going //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif
HUH????

Sounds like you either are really confused yourself in your detail or just did not give much detail here? Your wiring should look like this diagram below. The big issue here tho is that you have to remember a cap also adds another load to your alternator. Getting the alternator re-wired or a new and larger alternator would be the first choice to eliminate your lights dimming. Adding another battery or cap will do little to nothing other than add a little bit more load to the alternator and or allow you to run the system for a bit longer without having to run the car.

i once had this problem running 3 small amp and all componet spekaer wiht a tiny 10" sub...

when i hit a loud tone of music.. u can see the HU backlight dimm according to the bass...

i though of putting a caps or change the batts.. but i rewired the ground and battery cable to heavier gauge... ... and also find a true ground (connected to the - negative terminal of the batts) and also wiring the + from the batts terminal with a 30A fuse (to prevent short/fire)

it works... now i save hella lot of $$ for extra batts and caps....

wire gauge and true grounding is important in determine enough power to ur amp....

*just my 2 cent here*

:p

so you run the positive from the battery to the positive on the cap to the positive on the amp. and then you run the negative on the amp to the negative on the cap to the chassis?? or do you run the negative from the amp to the chassis and the negative on the cap to the chassis??

Originally posted by Fuel37 so you run the positive from the battery to the positive on the cap to the positive on the amp. and then you run the negative on the amp to the negative on the cap to the chassis?? or do you run the negative from the amp to the chassis and the negative on the cap to the chassis??
Either way should be fine for the ground as it is just that.....Ground! Ground should be fine direct to the amp or to chassis so long as it is grounded properly and near the amp's ground.

Originally posted by Fuel37 right now my (-) on the cap is not hooked to the (-) on my amp and they are both grounded in different places. is that ok?
It should be fine as they are both grounded to the same basic point (the chassis) If there were any problems you would not be getting the power to your amp because it would not flow properly. You should be fine as you have it set up now.

though something to add...

aa before we fix any cap.. we need to charged it...

charging by... connecting the (-) to the (-) batts terminal.... in between the (+) of the batts and caps.. we put a 12v bulbs

when fully charged .. the bulbs will be either dimm or off...

this u had a fully charged caps.. now connect the (+) to the batts (+)....

*just my 2 cent...*:p

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.