fabric wrapping

Participant count
  • Participant list
Carpeting or fabric wont hurt sound. Carpeting is easier because you can cover up any flaws in your woodwork and allows use of cheaper wood. Most Hi-FI enclosures you will buy in a store are just particle board with a veneer on top. Usually only custom builds or very high end expensive speaker cabinets will be real wood with stain or paint.

It's not the sound it's the work involved in making it look good. (The sound is going through the speakers not the back of the enclosure). Fabric is glue and stick. Paint is sanding smooth any surfaces, filler, sanding, primer, more sanding, more primer, more sanding, paint, sand, paint, (x?) maybe clear. It's 15 minutes to an hour's worth of work vs hours and days worth of work for something that most people will never see, unless you want to show them. If it's in the interior, then carpeting blends in better, and might be a better look for you. If you do fiberglass you might want to show it off, and paint, but you are already spending a bit of time anyways.

Carpeting or fabric wont hurt sound. Carpeting is easier because you can cover up any flaws in your woodwork and allows use of cheaper wood. Most Hi-FI enclosures you will buy in a store are just particle board with a veneer on top. Usually only custom builds or very high end expensive speaker cabinets will be real wood with stain or paint.
thx for explaining. i thought fabric has a sound quality purpose. I am doing mine from OSB and will use filler to make it smooth and them painted black.
One more question - can the box be srewed to the metal body of a van - to the metal plate separating cargo space from the cockpit? Should I use some fabric pads so the wood would not touch metal directly?

only place to mount boxes is bellow seats, srewed to this metal plate.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...