F**k ported enclosures

_J_D_Hogg
10+ year member

vented enclosures are for kiddies who want other people to say oh your car is soooo loud!

proper music lovers, who don't mind a bit of bass in their music, always go for sealed, imho, and two 5's or 6's in the front IS NOT ENOUGH, 4 regular speakers is the minimum to compensate for a (pair of) sub(s), or you can't properly hear the music you play

If tuned properly, vented enclosures can provide the tight accurate bass of a sealed box and still kill a sealed box in output. I bet I could stick any driver in a properly designed vented box and a properly designed sealed box, and your ears couldn't pick up a difference in SQ //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

with hiphop music you're right, with "winding" basses, but with sudden impact bass music, such as techno 4 example, the ported box just can't manage to seperate the basses from each other, and it will be a flowing of louder and softer basses in stead of seperate basskicks, and that i do not like. And i'm of the opinion that a setup should be able to handle any type of music, and still make it sound good, and not just be designed for hiphop, lemme put it like this: if my old man gets into my car, he should be able to put his cd's in, and turn it up, and it should still sound good, not necesserally loud, but good

Originally posted by _J_D_Hogg vented enclosures are for kiddies who want other people to say oh your car is soooo loud!

proper music lovers, who don't mind a bit of bass in their music, always go for sealed, imho, and two 5's or 6's in the front IS NOT ENOUGH, 4 regular speakers is the minimum to compensate for a (pair of) sub(s), or you can't properly hear the music you play
That is your opinion.

Originally posted by _J_D_Hogg vented enclosures are for kiddies who want other people to say oh your car is soooo loud!

That is your opinion.

i had a ported L5 15" in a ported box that hit just as clean as my pair of overdrive 12"s in a sealed box. loneranger is completly correct if tuned properly and done right you can get almost as good of SQ from a ported box as a sealed box. oh and saying you need 4 speakers that is just false. almost every SQ winning comp. car runs a solid pair of 1"tweeters and around a 6.5" or bigger mid-bass speaker. i know i run a 5.25" comp. set up front and nothing else and sounds crispier, cleaner, and better than almost any other car i've ever sat in.

adam

If you tune the box nice and low, you shouldn't hear the peak you're talking about unless you hit a note that coincides with the peak of the box. For example, if a box is tuned for 32hz (which is quite common in SQ and daily driver applications) the box would peak around 37-39hz. The only thing that would ever hit that low in a rock song is a drum kick, and in my opinion, that should have ALOT more punch than a bass guitar riff. My friend Dan only listens to Pink Floyd, The Doors and stuff like that. I installed an Audiobahn Alum 12 in his car on 300w RMS in a ported box tuned at 33hz, and it sounds awesome.

As for techno, I find that techno and trance actually sound pretty nice out of even higher tuned boxes because most of the low-end falls between 38-58hz......which is the most common tuning range for SPL-only enclosures. You're right that a lot of ported enclosures will make a sub sound sluggish on fast bass notes, but with a little tweaking and a lot of patience, you can come up with a ported box/sub combo that will please your ears....and still kick a sealed box's ass in output!

you can get the same punchiness from a ported enclosure by givin the sub more frequency than gain... makin the sub move to more beats and still have the same boom as a sealed and have more "loudness"

yeah no crap...i have a ported 10 inch... very small box...

and a sealed 12 inch... very big box!!! and the 10 inch is 3 times louder and has a lot more punch (probably cuz the 10 inch has a 120 watt amp hooked up to it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif ...

but still, after hearing that ported box, ill never go sealed!!! :p

its all personal preference.....

i had ported but now i like sealed....... i tend to recommend ported to a lot of people though..... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

I'm nothing short of a music lover.

My reference home audio system uses two vented peerless CSC-X 10", a sealed pair of P17rc's, and a seas excel T25-001 tweeter. Hand built, custom designed.

Am I a kiddie then?

That's odd, because out of the 30-some-odd people that have listened to this design, 0 of them have walked away saying anything less than "amazing."

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.