F**k ported enclosures

Originally posted by Goddyd4me agreed....this entire threed should be........active moderation....all i gotta say
Well no ****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

- Steve

please, if you insist on saying you tried both ported and sealed , please dont tell us how your two ported jl 12 inch subs sound better then your sealed 10 inch pair of mtx subs, if you are going to do a comparison of sealed vs ported, take the **** speakers out of the ported box put them into a sealed then tell us what you think. that's like me saying, " hey guys, i bought some audiovox 6 inch speakers from the kmart markdown bucket and i put them in a sealed box, then , i bought some jl audio 15inch woofers and put them in a ported box, and i must say ported does sound better.

also i have to agree with the guy that started this post, loud does not equal good. i get tired of asking people what their system sounds like and having them tell me, its real loud man. i say, yeah but is it very deep, is it a punchy sound? and they are like, duh...i dont know. i have four pioneer coaxial 3 way speakers a pioneer cd head unit, and a pioneer 12 inch sub in a sealed box driven by a 100 watt rms pioneer amp, i like the way it sounds, its very tight, punchy and solid, but i would like it to be a bit deeper and richer, i guess that's what the ported design is for.

i have a question, if i added a ported box to my car and played both subs at the same time, woiuld i have the best of both sounds or would they somehow interfere with each other??

Originally posted by _J_D_Hogg with hiphop music you're right, with "winding" basses, but with sudden impact bass music, such as techno 4 example, the ported box just can't manage to seperate the basses from each other, and it will be a flowing of louder and softer basses in stead of seperate basskicks, and that i do not like. And i'm of the opinion that a setup should be able to handle any type of music, and still make it sound good, and not just be designed for hiphop, lemme put it like this: if my old man gets into my car, he should be able to put his cd's in, and turn it up, and it should still sound good, not necesserally loud, but good
ported can't seperate the bass frequencies? techno, trance, etc..doesn't have "low bass". the "tightness" you're hearing is from the 65-250hz region, also known as the midbass. you're expecting a subwoofer to play midbass?//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif

i have 1 pioneers in a ported box tuned to 30hz. before i had pioneer speakers which had absolutely no midbass. the bass seems laggy and boomy, but after i upgraded to CDT audio speakers, midbass was improved over 100%. NOW the bass seems "tight". if it sound slow or laggy in a ported box, then i can rest assure you don't have enough midbass.

and what about subs like focal? they are up there in sound quality (all the way UP there), and guess what type of box they like? sealed? no..try ported, vented, bass-reflex, whatever you want to call it.

i'm a sound quality guy myself. all the box i've built are ported. only time i built a sealed box was for my other sub which i had too much power going into it. i had no other choice but to seal the box.

if you can build a box correctly and take time to design it, then it should sound just as good as a sealed box.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.