Everything an Install *SHOULD* Have Advice

If you look at post 279 on page 14 of the CLD TESTING thread from DIYMA the noico tested pretty decent compared to the others. I wish he would have tested gram for gram, but whatever. There is also one guy stating "noico is garbage, it will melt and stink" but then right below him there are 2 others that say the same I do...

Idk what the deal is, I tried to find testing on the deadener Facebook group, but I there isn't a search function. I know the horror stories of lots of deadener, but my noico 80 mil doesn't smell like asphalt, doesn't melt like asphalt, and I'm happy with the performance. 🤷🏽
In the same boat with Kilmat. I guess I'll have to wait for a couple 85-90F days and see what happens.

In the same boat with Kilmat. I guess I'll have to wait for a couple 85-90F days and see what happens.
I've already had some 90+ days here as well as 90+ days with multiple sessions of rain. That combination turns deadener into taffy as it is... No leaking or anything, even on my roof.

Matt

I had Kilmat in my s10 when I lived in Denver. No problems for years. Moved to Arizona and the whole extended cab area of my s10 turned soft and mushy. It didn’t seem to do much when it was only a few hot days, but a whole Arizona summer was too much.

Avoid the cheap stuff. If you have to do 2x the amount of coverage to only get 70% of the results then at the end of the day are you really saving money ? (the answer is no, cost is about the same and result is a lower quality product and extra weight on your car).

The whole budget deadner just promotes the stupid meathead narrative of deadner blocks sound which it doesn't. A large majority of people I have encounter of the years that have bought it over more expensive options do it becaues "I can get full coverage of noico/fatmat for the same price as 40% coverage of dynamat extreme, more soundproofing and better sound blocking" which is NOT true.

Deadner just prevents the panel from resonating, your not actually blocking sound from coming it. The end result is more weight added to your car with argueable worst deadening properties and the potential for toxic smells/melting. If you want actual sound blocking you need something like mass loaded vinyl with a decoupling layer underneath (usually CCF).

I remember STP (which is the parent company of Noico) posted a test result on there facebook page of there lowest/budget line (STP Silver) and it was 4 decibels better than Noico which is a ton, especially considering STP silver is there lowest line. You can't jip the system when it comes to deadner, you really do get what you pay for

No actually Noico, Fatmat and Killmat are all owned and are the same product sold by the same company and is a asphalt based product. Testing has shown that in the deadening group by an independent tester. Ask Skiezer or any of those guys who have seen the results of it on cars even in New York.

Several sites out there say it is an asphalt based product.

Been doing this for over 25+ years and the one time I used Killmat which is the same as Noico it melted in Northeast Wisconsin weather which isn't as hot as Central Florida. This wasn't on my car thankfully. I used it on the neighbor because he believed all those so called great amazon ratings, he used it on his two front doors and within a year it was melting off on his S-10 Blazer.

To each their own and agreed no pissing match. I just wouldn't buy it or even use it.
Agreed. I never understood the logic of potentially ruining a $10k+ car just because you wanted to save 50 dollars.

The install itself (sound treatment, EQ tuning, custom box) should be the 3 things that you DON'T skimp on

Last edited:
Avoid the cheap stuff. If you have to do 2x the amount of coverage to only get 70% of the results then at the end of the day are you really saving money ? (the answer is no, cost is about the same and result is a lower quality product and extra weight on your car).

The whole budget deadner just promotes the stupid meathead narrative of deadner blocks sound which it doesn't. A large majority of people I have encounter of the years that have bought it over more expensive options do it becaues "I can get full coverage of noico/fatmat for the same price as 40% coverage of dynamat extreme, more soundproofing and better sound blocking" which is NOT true.

Deadner just prevents the panel from resonating, your not actually blocking sound from coming it. The end result is more weight added to your car with argueable worst deadening properties and the potential for toxic smells/melting. If you want actual sound blocking you need something like mass loaded vinyl with a decoupling layer underneath (usually CCF).

I remember STP (which is the parent company of Noico) posted a test result on there facebook page of there lowest/budget line (STP Silver) and it was 4 decibels better than Noico which is a ton, especially considering STP silver is there lowest line. You can't jip the system when it comes to deadner, you really do get what you pay for

Agreed. I never understood the logic of potentially ruining a $10k+ car just because you wanted to save 50 dollars.

The install itself (sound treatment, EQ tuning, custom box) should be the 3 things that you DON'T skimp on
While I definitely agree with most of what you said, I would like to point out 2 things.

1. I decided at the beginning of this project to do full coverage of whatever damper or blocking products I chose. My car is a 4 cyl turbo with a manual transmission and basically solid motor mounts. Vibration reduction and killing any rattles was my main goal. I didn't just treat doors. I did the whole interior of the car, including trim panels, dash panels, expanding foam inside the body cavities, whole shebang. If you are only doing front doors, Yea go get the best performing deadener on the market, it's going to be worth it. But for me, paying the premium for 300+ SQ feet wasn't worth the cost. I wasn't going to be selective so high efficiency wasn't needed, I was carpet bombing the car so I needed a good product that fit my budget for full coverage. If I had gone with second skin, resonix, or another top tier brand, I would have spent nearly $1500 on deadener alone, not even including the CCF and MLV.

2. Weight is almost the entire point of deadener. You are adding mass to a panel to make if resonate at a lower frequency and resonate less. Theoretically, you could glue a 1 inch cube of tungsten to each panel and have those panels resonate at a drastically lower frequency. If you are only doing 25 percent center panel coverage, you need as much mass and "dampening" from a product as possible to grt the best results. When you cover 100 percent, you can afford to have a less premium level product.

Deadener is only the first part of the process. There are 3 steps. Deaden(add mass), isolate(usually done with some type of foam, usually closed-cell foam), and block(mass-loaded vinyl). I chose to do 100 percent coverage of both deadener and CCF for my application. Mass loaded vinyl is a different beast all together and takes a bit of finesse to Install properly. My floor has mass loaded vinyl on it, but I haven't done doors or firewall yet.

For the record, I would have loved to spring for second skin damplifier pro and luxury liner pro. It is a phenomenal product, and I have used it in a few friends' installs. But I'm working on a set budget, and for the price I paid I'm more than happy with the results. I was able to accomplish what I wanted, and had more cash available for the rest of my install, including buying a router and a new jigsaw.

Seen a couple other installs in cold climate up in the UP of Michigan on my cousin's car and same thing it melted. Up there they never got a lot of hot weather a lot of people don't even have a/c units. This was a few years ago though. It was Fatmat iirc. Had completely forgotten about this till all this talk on sound deadening & budget stuff.

I have a box of 40 square feet of second skin going in mine sometime in the next month. I would have gone resonix but he was out of it and is constantly selling out of it because of the quality of it.

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...