Ever hate to have to hide your work?

phoneman
10+ year member

i like pie
ok
I know clean installs are what everyone wants but you ever feel like your best work is being hid?

I am currently doing another install for my sister in another vehicle. I have done many installs for myself in many vehicles I have owned and many installs for people I have known over the years including several for my lil sis (lucky little spoiled biaatch). Anyway I feel that this most current one is very clean, just as clean as any other I have done. But for some reason I feel the work I have done that wont be shown is wear this install shines the most. I almost hate it becuase I have no one to show it to who would give a **** or even know what it means.

And this install is somewhat of a budget install with all your needs/(wants), Like a nice panasonic HU, eD comps with soundstream amp, along with an L5 15" and a rockford 600w amp from her last car. All of which I have pretty much bought pluss all the wire and **** to go with. + a little sound deading I had on hand.

If I had a digi cam I would take pics so at least some of you guys would appreciate it.

So any of you ever hate to hide your work?

im mad i wont have anythign done for months //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif cause i want it for SQ ********

i feel if i dont hide my wires it makes me feel like one of those kids who went to wal-mart and "decked out" there car and just put it in there for a quick install. i dunno i get mad if i dont do something right the frist time.

i feel if i dont hide my wires it makes me feel like one of those kids who went to wal-mart and "decked out" there car and just put it in there for a quick install. i dunno i get mad if i dont do something right the frist time.
I always hide all the wires but, I have most of my work put into what all that is hid and the quality of it. I mean anyone can hide wires and **** under the carpet, paneling, dash, and door panels. The cleanness/quality behind whats scene is where its at.

I feel you there man, I would love to show off the work on my car, but at the same time i want it to continue to look stock, to fool the onlooker.

Caprice wagon .. most excellent choice. You won't regret it at all! Tried getting one myself but the ****ing owner wanted too much for it. Hard to come by.

i agree with you phone. i worked at circuit city for a while doing installs, and people would come in with installs where the wires run through the door jamb and all across the floor and even though its a simple firewall+tuck they are like, oh ok cool. and they dont care at all. makes me so mad that i went thru the trouble to make it look nice [not the way i would do it in my car, but nice] and they dont care at all.

i try and do my best when it comes to other peoples installs such as tucking wires into stock harness channels if theres room to spare, or lifting up the carpet and tucking it under the corner of the crossmember for the seat bolts and stuff, but when i get out of the navy, im going to rip the entire interior or my car, shieth every wire in techflex, and its going to be awesome. signal wires thru the center of the car [i got sweet flat memphis 5 channel rcas] power wires long the side, speakers on the other side all connections soldered, sleeved, and heatshrunk.

i agree phoneman, sometimes it dissapoints me when i show someone the install and all they care about is how hard "mike jones" hits.

req,

I can see where that would be maddening having the average Circuit City mobile audio customer not having any appreciation for the effort involved in doing what it is that installers do. Although, while I hate to make generalizations about groups of people, your 'average' Circuit City mobile audio customer probably wouldn't appreciate a fully customized, everything in fiberglass whiz-bang install. So, what's a relatively "plain brown wrapper"-ish install isn't likely to blow their skirts up much either.

The ones that are going to (and be willing to) really appreciate what you've done while possibly taking specific notice of the fruits of your labor will still be more into the final product (how it sounds) rather than the individual steps it took to get it there.

exactally the dilemma. whenever i see somthing that somone put alot of time, love, effort, and not to mention money - i try to ask them about all the intricacies of the fruits of their labor - and also what they were looking for in an end product and what\if any of their plans had to change over the course of their build. weather it be building a house, putting together a model airplane, or installing a car stereo. i make it a point to ask questions - and most of the time its really interesting for me to learn anything i can about everything that has to do with building or installing. i even talked the guy who came over to fix our furnace to figure out what was wrong with it, what usually goes wrong, and numerous other questions.

you would never imagine how somone will appriciate you being interested in their work, even slightly. i think its one of the best feelings there is to be appriciated for somthing you do - even if its at your dayjob - and espically if its your hobby and somthing you spend your own money and time on.

sorry for the rant.

oh yea, and the absolute best feeling is when somone you love shows interest in your enjoyment and supports you.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.