equipment capatability advice

cobaltitaliano
10+ year member

WI
I need some advice on how to hook up a system I plan on running. I am a complete noob to this so bare with me lol. After a thread I started on here I was told the sundown audio e series 400 watt rms subs and aq series aq1200d amp is the way to go. So I am getting dual sundown e series subs rated at 800 watts rms together, and the amp is 1200 watts rms. I would like to hook the system up by getting full potential of the subs SAFELY without overstressing and blowing them. Same with the amp. So the subs come in either 2 ohm or 4 ohm. I have been told i should get the 2 ohm by one person and the 4 ohm by another lol. So i am trying to get to the bottom of this lol. Any assistance for what I am trying to accomplish? Or perhaps a better amp for either the same price or cheaper that has similar build quality and reliability.

thanks

I need some advice on how to hook up a system I plan on running. I am a complete noob to this so bare with me lol. After a thread I started on here I was told the sundown audio e series 400 watt rms subs and aq series aq1200d amp is the way to go. So I am getting dual sundown e series subs rated at 800 watts rms together, and the amp is 1200 watts rms. I would like to hook the system up by getting full potential of the subs SAFELY without overstressing and blowing them. Same with the amp. So the subs come in either 2 ohm or 4 ohm. I have been told i should get the 2 ohm by one person and the 4 ohm by another lol. So i am trying to get to the bottom of this lol. Any assistance for what I am trying to accomplish? Or perhaps a better amp for either the same price or cheaper that has similar build quality and reliability.thanks
you will be fine just be careful not to clip them. read up on here how to set you gains with a dmm if you dont know how to already

and they have a soundstream reference 700s that will go perfect with them in the classified but you would need the d2 models to wire to 2ohm nice oldschool sq amp though i can understand if you are wanting all new

Yeah really want all new equipment. I bought used before and lets just say It didnt work out well for me. So another vote for dual 4 ohm instead of the 2 on the subs. I really wanna be correct on all this before I go spend money on the equipment lol.

So is it a simple wire configuration for what I am trying to accomplish then?

Yeah really want all new equipment. I bought used before and lets just say It didnt work out well for me. So another vote for dual 4 ohm instead of the 2 on the subs. I really wanna be correct on all this before I go spend money on the equipment lol.
So is it a simple wire configuration for what I am trying to accomplish then?
yes get the dual 4's but like said above make sure you set your gains correctly so you do not clip.

agin, Im a noob about this stuff lol. And i do not know what you mean by setting my gains correctly so I don't clip.

I have read that if I am going dual subs that are being powered by 1 amp I should have them wired in parralel

agin, Im a noob about this stuff lol. And i do not know what you mean by setting my gains correctly so I don't clip.
I have read that if I am going dual subs that are being powered by 1 amp I should have them wired in parralel
yes with 2 dual 4's wired together in parallel it will be 1 ohm. your gain is a setting on the amp and if you turn it up to much it will distort the signal it produces and burn up your subs. just look up how to set you gains correctly when you install.

gotcha. So its one of them knobs on the amp u turn to set the amount of power/decibals?

So if i wire my setup in parallel how much total watts will my system push out then?

gotcha. So its one of them knobs on the amp u turn to set the amount of power/decibals?
So if i wire my setup in parallel how much total watts will my system push out then?
depending on where your gain is set you will get the full power of the amp, just do a little reading and searching on the forum on gain settings and ohm loads you will figure it all out.

Well I would like to do 800 watts total by being safe so i dont overstress the subs. But I will search on here for more info. thank you.

All right. Did some more researching and reading on here. Most of the things I read were very foreign to me, but what I understood was that gain setting is important in making sure I get the most out of my system. As I said previously, I want my system set up to be at 800 watts total, so that means having the 1200 watt rms amp put out only 800 watts so the subs will work proficiently.

Specs on the amp:

Specifications

Model AQ1200D

Frequency Response 20Hz—250Hz

Signal to Noise Ratio 100db

Low Pass Crossover 24db / Oct

Low Pass Crossover Range 20Hz—200Hz

Subsonic Crossover Range 10Hz—50Hz

Input Sensitivity 0.2V—8V

Output Master / Input Slave Connection Yes

Working Voltage 8V---16V

Efficiency @ 4 ohm 84%

Damping Factor Less than 150

Fuse Rating 40Amp X 3 (Linked 240 Amp)

Output Power 14.4V @ 1% THD 510X1 @ 4 ohm,870X1 @ 2 ohm,1200X1 @1 ohm

Output Power 14.4V @ 5% THD 1470X1 @ 1 ohm

Dimensions 12.75"(L)x9.27"(W)x2.35"(H)

---------- Post added at 01:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:15 AM ----------

All right. Did some more researching and reading on here. Most of the things I read were very foreign to me, but what I understood was that gain setting is important in making sure I get the most out of my system. As I said previously, I want my system set up to be at 800 watts total, so that means having the 1200 watt rms amp put out only 800 watts so the subs will work proficiently.

Specs on the amp:

Specifications

Model AQ1200D

Frequency Response 20Hz—250Hz

Signal to Noise Ratio 100db

Low Pass Crossover 24db / Oct

Low Pass Crossover Range 20Hz—200Hz

Subsonic Crossover Range 10Hz—50Hz

Input Sensitivity 0.2V—8V

Output Master / Input Slave Connection Yes

Working Voltage 8V---16V

Efficiency @ 4 ohm 84%

Damping Factor Less than 150

Fuse Rating 40Amp X 3 (Linked 240 Amp)

Output Power 14.4V @ 1% THD 510X1 @ 4 ohm,870X1 @ 2 ohm,1200X1 @1 ohm

Output Power 14.4V @ 5% THD 1470X1 @ 1 ohm

Dimensions 12.75"(L)x9.27"(W)x2.35"(H)

Well I would like to do 800 watts total by being safe so i dont overstress the subs. But I will search on here for more info. thank you.
then just buy the 2ohm version of the subs and wire the subs series to 4 ohm each and parallel wire both subs to the amp for a 2ohm final load, this will allow the amp to operate more efficiently and provide the amount of power you want without having to improperly set your gain.

How to Set Your Gains

I found this resource but it never says anything by checking it with a voltage meter. Basically tells u to listen for distortion and then when u hear it, thats your gain setting lol.

And what is the way quakhead is saying is a better way to hook my subs up for what I am trying to accomplish (only 800 watts rms going to the subs from a 1200 watt rms amp)?? I dont want to blow the subs or amp by installing incorrectly or buying the wrong ohm rated equipment..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.