Equalizer and Gain relations

Participant count
  • Participant list

7ender
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
After years of running my setup and being happy with it, Iv'e found i'd like to try running a little more midbass in the 100-600hz range.

My sub is currently crossed at 80 hz.

Now, what I am trying to figure out is how I get a little boost in the frequencies i'm looking at from my components without affecting the sub. In other words, my head unit only has a basic equalizer and by increasing the "low" frequencies, i'll also be boosting the 80hz and unders.

So is there a way to isolate my eq effects to only my components up front? I had thought of just setting the low portion of the equalizer higher and redoing my sub gains, but by doing this I would be essentially sending my sub a clipped signal, even after resetting gains to compensate (correct?).

Hope this wasnt' too confusing. Haven't been around here in a longg time so i'm a bit rusty :p.

Thanks

Get an external equalizer //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Many out there from $50-$500 and above. 5-band all the way through 31-band are common.

The more bands, the more control.

better sound costs money my friend. you don't have to spend a lot. you can get a decent EQ used for a good price. If you want more than 9 bands you have to choose between a digital EQ or a trunk mount EQ. You can get a decent shape Audio Control EQL for around $60-80 usually, but it's a decent EQ for the money. Or the older 1/2 DIN EQ's can work out well.

More EQ bands are key. That way you can adjust 125Hz, 250Hz, 500Hz etc. and not affect the sub EQ band of 63Hz. Note that those are standard octave bands - a 7 band EQ will have 63, 125, 250, 500, 1000, 2000, 4000Hz. You can also get bands up to 8000Hz, 16000Hz, and some down to 35Hz.

as far as clipping goes - you should be able to adjust your head unit EQ without worrying about clipping the output. As long as you aren't using full volume and maxing out the EQ boost - you can just adjust your sub gain. Use a DMM to monitor amp output so it remains below it's rating - or use an oscilloscope and do a frequency sweep to verify you aren't clipping.

Hmm, thanks guys.

With some of those 1/2 din equalizers, I notice they have controls for 5-9 bands and sub level. However, again if I were to adjust the "low" band (seen on the arc audio unit posted above) would this leave me with the same problem i'm currently having that it would also be adjusting the sub level? Or do the units isolate the sub as separate and not affected by these adjustments?

Hmm, thanks guys.
With some of those 1/2 din equalizers, I notice they have controls for 5-9 bands and sub level. However, again if I were to adjust the "low" band (seen on the arc audio unit posted above) would this leave me with the same problem i'm currently having that it would also be adjusting the sub level? Or do the units isolate the sub as separate and not affected by these adjustments?
If it has a sub control, then shouldn't affect it. The sub control should send info via the sub RCA's whereas the rest should send via the RCA's to front amp. However, not familiar with that specific unit.

since you should have crossovers on your speakers, adjust an EQ band below your speaker crossover or above your sub crossover, won't affect both.

if you have an 80Hz crossover point (for sub and speakers)

at or below 63Hz will only affect the sub

80Hz will affect both sub and speakers

at or above 100Hz will affect only speakers

if you really need to adjust the output at the crossover point - independent for speakers and subs - you need active processing with the crossover in or before the EQ.

Boosting with EQ = meh
Correct. If you want more midbass, adjust everything else lower. Assuming you had your gains set correctly before, boosting with your EQ will cause clipping. Always cut with an EQ, do not boost. And use the components with the lowest output as the starting point to adjust all other speaker outputs too.

But if you insist on continuing your current path, you want a parametric EQ, not the standard fixed band EQ's mostly being discussed in this thread.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.