Eq tuning

Participant count
  • Participant list

argenis69
10+ year member

SQ Bass Lover
NY, USA
Hi CA, I would like some experienced opinions and/or suggestions on how to tune or equalize properly my interior speakers. In a 2002 nissan maxima I have 6.5'' cadence component speakers on front and 5.25'' beyma mid high speakers on the rear, powered by a 500rms 4 channels amp.

I recently installed an eql from audiocontrol to eliminate some bass and get clear sound from the interior speakers, but I've tried some much to get it tuned right, but I can't get it to sound right, and after that the sound output is also lower, and now if I put the volume loud on the hu the interior speakers start to sound like with some cracking sound. Also, if this helps, I recently bought an nano oscilloscope but haven't used it yet.

1-What can I do to fix this issue? If possible, with specifications.

2-Is it better to buy and put bass blocker filter to each speaker to eliminate the use of the eq? If yes, which is the best frequency to buy the blocker?

Thank you.

Sounds like you need a crossover instead of an eq. A crossover will help you "assign" a frequency range to each speaker or set of speakers. An eq will only boost or attenuate those frequencys. Not sure if that audiocontrol piece as crossover adjustments.

you should avoid adding processing equipment if it's no absolutely necessary. you should have two high-pass filter (let's high frequencies pass while lower ones die) options. the first is on your head unit. get the instructions out for it and see what you can do. try 80Hz first. the second option is on your 4-channel amp. switch it to HPF (high pass filter) and adjust it to around 80Hz and see what that does for you.

Here you go buddy, this helped me when I was working with EQ.

8 Easy Steps To Better EQ

cliff notes:

to find what frequency to boost/cut, listen to your music, find an instrument that you want to stand out or cut back in the mix, boost a frequency up untill you find what frequency affects that instrument.

Now a general rule of thumb cutting is a better option than boosting for sound quality.

cut narrow

boost wide

(if you can change the width of the band)

^^above post was actually made based on title of thread. Reading your post, I agree with the fact you need a crossover more than anything. A crossover will cut off frequencies from getting to your speakers, (I.E. low bass frequencies). A crossover can be a LPF (low pass filter) or HPF (high pass filter) For cutting the low frequencies off to your speakers you want to setup a HPF (you can buy a passive HPF, or use an active HPF built into your HU, or amp).

Thanks,

-Is there any opinions about using bass blocker filters on the speakers instead of adding the crossovers? If yes, what frequencies should I block?

The crossovers on your head unit and amp are bass blockers.

Subs: lpf 80hz

Mids: bpf: 80hz-8khz

Tweets: hpf: 8khz

There's your settings, let us know how it sounds.

Whatever allows you to set these options, whether it be the head unit or amp.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.