Enough power?

Daryl rsv4

SoCal
Currently have a Soundqubed Q4-90 (believe is the model, 4-5 yrs. old) for my 4 channel and wondering if I should upgrade to something bigger for the CDT HD-65S comps that I will be getting installed? Thought I read that the CDT's are pretty power hungry.

Thanks all!

Your amp is powerful enough to get you good results. But, if you want to get the full potential out of those speakers, upgrading to a more powerful amp would be pretty much required. It looks like those speakers have a rating of 160 - 180 watts. Is that correct? If so, getting an amp that has an RMS rating of about that much power would be ideal.

I don’t know of any 4-channel amps with that kind of power. There are some 6-channel amps that will give you that kind of power.

Um... pretty sure these are the same set I have. Slim mount 6.5" and 2 ohms. Which is why I bought the RF Punch amps for them... because of their 2ohm stereo ratings.

This is right out of my package...

20220615-193006.jpg

I would install it with the amplifier that you have before buying anything else. Those CDT’s are 2 ohm speakers. The amplifier you have is 130 watts x 4 at 2 ohms.

These are not the standard HD midbass drivers so they will perform perfectly fine on lower power. Standard HD mids power depends on how set them up and what you are want them to do.

Currently have a Soundqubed Q4-90 (believe is the model, 4-5 yrs. old) for my 4 channel and wondering if I should upgrade to something bigger for the CDT HD-65S comps that I will be getting installed? Thought I read that the CDT's are pretty power hungry.

Thanks all!
I would run it, Ive had that amp and it seems to do very well. If you have to go beyond 1 Oclock position? You may consider looking into getting some head room. But use what you have, its a great amp and it may be all you need to blend in just fine with what you have? Save some $ use what you have, try it out. That Q4 is a dammned good amplifier

Those CDT arent the Loudest speakers in the HD choices, but they are 90db, and should get loud enough man. Great speakers, and for $99 bucks?? How the hell can you beat that deal for a set of quality made components?? And you have a quality made amplifier to put on them rather than just power? Should sound absolutely fantastic for the $ man. Id like to hear from your experiences after getting them in and tuned. I think you are going to be very pleased.

Thanks all!
Even perfect world assuming you wouldn't be stressing your components running them to their absolute limit, the most you could expect from DOUBLING power would be the equivalent of 2 clicks of your volume knob. Go from there whether you think it's worth throwing a pile of money on a larger amplifier and also consider that to get that advertised power handling you will have to sacrifice low end extension on those fronts.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...