Engine shuts off when I come to a stop???

Rashaddd
5,000+ posts

Terrrrrist
Sacramento
K I don't know if its really relevant, but I installed a hifonics bxi2607d the other day in my car. I only have a 60 amp alt, but I'm also running it at 8 ohms currently, only running about 400 watts rms on test tones. Stock battery, 0 gauge battery ground wire.

Yesterday on my way home I came to a stop sign and as I slowed to a stop completely, my engine shut off. I have a voltage meter on my dash that was reading 14+ at the time, so I doubt that my alternator/battery failed or anything like that, but I'm not sure...I put the car in park, turned the key, and it started just fine. I then drove home and just kind of hoped it never happened again...

Today the same thing happened TWICE on the way home, and obviously its a serious problem.

I've noticed also my car is idling at around 600-700 rpm, and I'm pretty sure it used to idle at more like 1000 rpm, but I can't say that for sure either. I've also been idling alot while playing music etc recently in the last couple days, if that may have anything to do with it...

So what the hell is goin on with my car? I really don't want to have to take it in to a shop or anything...so hopefully someone here can give some input

thanks

try stomping on the breaks hard 6 or 7 times see if it shuts off again.
Alright just tried that, the first time i did it I dropped to like 100-300 rpm but kept running and came back up to 600, after that when i did it it continued to drop but not as drastically, more like to 400-500 and then right back up to 600-700.

What would it mean if it shut off? Because I bet I could get it to like that based on how it was reacting.

your altenator is probably shot.get it checked at autozone.
but it stays at 14-14.5 volts all the time, and I get zero voltage drop playing test tones running 600-700 rms on it, what evidence is there that its done?

if the engine stalls you have a vacuum problem, brakes run off vacuum, and when you come to a stop it could be that your egr is stuck open, exhaust gas resurculation.(bad spelling) and that is causeing you to lose some vacuum pressure.

I dont know how that would cause the engine to die, starter is only used during startup, obviously.

OP, does you car/truck stall when you take off from a dead stop?
o sh*t my fault.

it was the fuel pump that went bad

I dont know how that would cause the engine to die, starter is only used during startup, obviously.

OP, does you car/truck stall when you take off from a dead stop?
Not at all, I can floor it and it accelerates just fine, so if its the vac what should I do about it?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.