Engine Noise on 2004 Colorado...

ZQ8Paul
10+ year member

Mesa, Az
Hey Guys, I've got a problem. I have a 2004 Chevy Colorado with a Pioneer DEH-9600 HU, 2 Kicker L5 10s and a Hifonics ZX7500 on the way to replace my KX600.1. I also have Alpine SPR-176a I believe is the model number, components in my front doors. They used to be run by a RF Punch150s 2 channel amp, and now a MTX Road Thunder 202. The Problem I'm having is that I'm getting constant engine whine through the front speakers. I thought it was an issue with my old RF amp, so I went and picked up the MTX cheap today, but the problem is still there. I've tried grounding the amp to several different spots with no luck, and also my RCA's are on the opposite side of the truck from the power wires. Any ideas as to my problem, and possible solutions?

Thanks,

Paul

Disconnect the RCA's from the amps and start the engine up and see if the whine is still there. If it is still there, it's a ground prob with the amps and/or their grounds, because even without signal the whine would still be coming from the alternator then thru the power wire(s). If it's gone, it's either the RCA's or the deck itself. With me, it was the deck itself, pioneers are known for their bad internal ground planes.

what do I need to do if it is the HU? It's the top of the line pioneer without getting into dvd players.
I had the same problem, it was suggested to me to ground the RCA cables themselves.. but of course.. I cut through one of the cables when I did it, so be very careful.

Also, try grounding the HU to the chassis, be sure to sand/dremel/wire brush, whatever you do to clean the paint.

yeah reground everything really well... and when u said engine noise i was almost positive u had a pioneer... what can u do? get an alpine :-D ... i've got a pioneer in both cars... the avic-n1 still has engine noise after the amps being grounded 2 bare metal with a bolt i drilled through my trunk floor... and the head unit is grounded 2 the battery... i've tried everything... oh well... it's not that bad tho...

I bought a ground loop isolator from crutchfield that plugs into the rca's and then is grounded to the chassis. If that doesn't fix it, I'll just buy another alpine for my truck and put the pioneer in my enclosed trailer so I can finish the stereo in there //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.