Engine/Alternator whine

Participant count
  • Participant list

KK07
10+ year member

woop woop
Canada
Hi. I just had my deck/speakers/amp installed last night and while everything isn't completely done yet, I tried to test the speaker amp and all I get is a constant whining noise (very loud). This post is going to be pretty long so I'll try and separate my questions as best as possible.

To start off, here's the equipment:

Pioneer DEH-6900UB

Phoenix Gold Octane 5.0:4

PHoenix Gold RSD 65cs components

All installed in a 1997 Maxima (non-bose).

We ran the power wire separately from RCAs/speaker wire (power wire/remote turn-on on driver's side and RCAs/speaker wire to the passenger side). The RCAs are Stinger shielded (not no-name).

When I got home from work today, I checked out the sticky and saw that these Pioneers are notorious for alternator whine so I went ahead and did that RCA grounding fix but that didn't help at all. I then swapped the RCAs thinking maybe that was the problem, even though the first set are brand new; that also didn't help.

Now my question is, could something on the amplifier itself be wrong now? When we were wiring up the amp, my friend plugged the RCAs in and then unplugged again and the little piece that you plug in to came off with the RCA. Sorry if that doesn't make any sense, here's a picture as an example:
steg01.png

The gold ring and the white little piece inside of the RCA input came off with the actual cable. Could this be causing any problems with the noise? As soon as I unplug the RCAs from the amplifier, the noise stops.

Also, if I turn the car on to ACC and not all the way on, and turn the deck on, I still hear the whine noise, just not as loud as when the car is on.

So before I go off and start spending more money on different equipment, I just want to know what else could be causing this. I went through the 9 pages of the sticky and the only thing I don't feel comfortable doing is actually opening the deck up and replacing the fuse in there.

Could my amplifier ground be doing this? We ended up sanding the trunk floor a bit and then screwed the ground wire in (without an o-ring because we ran out). The ground itself is secure and its on bare metal with the trunk carpet on top of it. I'm planning on grabbing an o-ring tomorrow after work and putting that in as well.

Could it be the car itself? I just got the car recently, had only the stock deck in it when I got it and I haven't really had a chance to check the alternator/charging system. Could an alternator on it's way out do this sort of thing? It's a constant whine and if I turn the volume up, I also get static, in addition to the whine.

Sorry for the long post, I know I'm probably missing something so please just let me know and I'll try to provide as many details as possible. Thanks for any help!

i get the whine too. did everything and its still there. just not as bad as before.

did you make a new ground for the hu? i redid mine to the batt and it took some of the noise away.

i get the whine too. did everything and its still there. just not as bad as before.
did you make a new ground for the hu? i redid mine to the batt and it took some of the noise away.
I could give that a try, I was really hoping that the RCA grounding on the back of the deck would do it but that didn't help at all. I'm really hoping its not faulty equipment or a bad alternator or something.

If I get a somewhat quiet whine, even with the car off (in ACC), does that narrow down my problem at all? Thanks for the reply!

I could give that a try, I was really hoping that the RCA grounding on the back of the deck would do it but that didn't help at all. I'm really hoping its not faulty equipment or a bad alternator or something.
If I get a somewhat quiet whine, even with the car off (in ACC), does that narrow down my problem at all? Thanks for the reply!
i get that to. i have a Kenwood flip out. i did that rca thing and help alittle. i think the sub amp rcas are bad on mine.

does the noise come from the tweeters? mine does.

i get that to. i have a Kenwood flip out. i did that rca thing and help alittle. i think the sub amp rcas are bad on mine.
does the noise come from the tweeters? mine does.
That was something I was trying to pinpoint tonight, it was getting dark fast so I had to throw everything back into the car. I want to say that the noise was coming from the speakers/tweeters but I'm not 100% sure. As soon as I unplug the RCAs from the amp, the whine/static stops.

That was something I was trying to pinpoint tonight, it was getting dark fast so I had to throw everything back into the car. I want to say that the noise was coming from the speakers/tweeters but I'm not 100% sure. As soon as I unplug the RCAs from the amp, the whine/static stops.
if i unplug my sub rca's my noise stops. did you try a different amp? trust me that noise is a *****. we tore my Caddy apart and still couldn't get rid of it. i even brought the ground loop iso things and its still there. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/verymad.gif.3f39c5c2fd57527b671fad3efdfac756.gif

if i unplug my sub rca's my noise stops. did you try a different amp? trust me that noise is a *****. we tore my Caddy apart and still couldn't get rid of it. i even brought the ground loop iso things and its still there. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/verymad.gif.3f39c5c2fd57527b671fad3efdfac756.gif

I'm going to try and find a buddy who has an extra amp laying around this weekend. I just got this stuff installed yesterday. Wasn't expecting to have so many problems. I keep reading that those ground loop isolators are no good but I'm thinking I might need to buy one just to see if it helps at all. You didn't notice any difference after you put that in?

I'm going to try and find a buddy who has an extra amp laying around this weekend. I just got this stuff installed yesterday. Wasn't expecting to have so many problems. I keep reading that those ground loop isolators are no good but I'm thinking I might need to buy one just to see if it helps at all. You didn't notice any difference after you put that in?
no i didn't. try it if all else fails.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.