enclosure help

afghiranian
10+ year member

Hey,

im obviously new to the caraudio forums, so i apologize in advance if im posting something that has been asked before or in the wrong section. but ive done my searching and come up on nothing so i think im okay.

anyways, i have two 12 in. alpine type r's attached to a treo engineering 1900 w amp, with monster cables throughout. ive been searching for an enclosure for about a week and i am deciding to go with a prefab (i know its the worst, but i dont want to build or spend a ton).

my question is which is better out of these two :

on crutchfield there is the sound ordinance Bass Bunker Ported dual 12" subwoofer enclosure (sorry new member limited to url posts)

or

on amazon the OBCON Dual 12" Slot Vented Hatchback Speaker Enclosure

i called r/t and they said the frequency for the obcon is 38-40. the sound ordinance is 33.

frequency is better on the s/o right? but is it a better enclosure?

Thanks for the help

Well i get a discount on amazon so the obcon would be about $95 and the sound ordinance is $80, not really too big of a difference. the only prices i found for custom were at least 200 local

honestly they are not worth in just get someone to make you one
As i said i really just dont want to spend that much money. But why wouldnt it be worth it? if its got the right airspace and frequency, what would be the difference?

As i said i really just dont want to spend that much money. But why wouldnt it be worth it? if its got the right airspace and frequency, what would be the difference?
Construction quality

Prefabs are constructed poorly...hence prefab. And they aren't tailored to the specific driver being utilized. Ported prefabs are usually tuned high i.e. 45hz. Which ***** for daily...

You're better off going to a reputable car audio shop and have them build you a custom enclosure. If you don't have the money, then save a little bit longer aka budget. "Great things comes to those who wait"

If you decide to get one made my $135 plus shipping price stands it will make a big difference in output.
i will keep it in mind for sure. ill be changing subs soon enough to some w6's and i want to wait until then to build a custom box, for now i think i just want to get some pre fabs and be done with it

Construction quality
Prefabs are constructed poorly...hence prefab. And they aren't tailored to the specific driver being utilized. Ported prefabs are usually tuned high i.e. 45hz. Which ***** for daily...

You're better off going to a reputable car audio shop and have them build you a custom enclosure. If you don't have the money, then save a little bit longer aka budget. "Great things comes to those who wait"
well these seem to be decent construction from what i hear, obcon so far hasnt really fallen apart and some people who have used the sound ordinance claim the same, and both are lower than 45, the obcon is 38-40 and the other 33?

and its not that i dont have the money but its more that i have other costs i need to spend on my car and a sub box cant be my priority right now however i do need something

the bass bunker is 5/8" MDF...too thin. the Obcon is tuned pretty high.

This box is the correct size, tune and material. it even has 1 1/2" thick double layered baffle and good port area. About the best pre-fab I have seen online.

MSW | Car Audio Stereo, Car Subwoofers, Car Amplifiers and Speakers

the bass bunker is 5/8" MDF...too thin. the Obcon is tuned pretty high.
This box is the correct size, tune and material. it even has 1 1/2" thick double layered baffle and good port area. About the best pre-fab I have seen online.

MSW | Car Audio Stereo, Car Subwoofers, Car Amplifiers and Speakers
that does seem really good, but its just too expensive still, i know its only like 60 bucks difference but if only you saw my list of things i need to do to my car lol.

in regards to the bass bunker the thin construction means its more fragile? if so i did see someone post that they had two type r's for about 8 months with no problems yet, yet lol

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.