Enclosure Design Help

Participant count
  • Participant list

Manchesteruntd

I Am am brand new to this site, but not new to the car audio world. Recently, I have been stumped by one of my boxes and am looking to build a new one. The box is for a smart car. I built a box for a Rockford Fosgate 8inch P2D4 and is powered by a Rockford Fosgate R500XD (image attached; the non-sketch up picture) and although the box itself turned out great, it did not perform. the enclosure itself is to speck which is why I am a bit confused. It is an up firing seal enclosure. the problem with the design is that the bass is close to inaudible when seated in the driver or passenger seat, yet, sounds great if your head if close to the windshield. Due to the side and shape of the car, the bass does not envelop the cabin.

So! I am designing a new enclosure to solve the problem! I am up for suggestions! I have designed three enclosures on Sketch Up. Please tell me which one would be best. Each enclosure is different; from port locations, to firing position (one is down firing).

View attachment 26546974View attachment 26546975View attachment 26546972View attachment 26546971View attachment 26546973

A single 8 inch sub in a sealed box isn't going to have tremendous output to begin with, but it shouldn't be almost inaudable in a small car like that...

Have you tried turning the box around or moving it to different areas of the trunk? It might do better loading off of a wall and firing backwards.

Otherwise, a ported enclosure can give you at least a 6 - 10DB gain down low, if designed correctly. With cabin gain factored in, it would be significantly louder below 50hz.

The port back, sub up design would be my choice or port up sub back.

A single 8 inch sub in a sealed box isn't going to have tremendous output to begin with, but it shouldn't be almost inaudable in a small car like that...
Have you tried turning the box around or moving it to different areas of the trunk? It might do better loading off of a wall and firing backwards.

Otherwise, a ported enclosure can give you at least a 6 - 10DB gain down low, if designed correctly. With cabin gain factored in, it would be significantly louder below 50hz.

The port back, sub up design would be my choice or port up sub back.
Unfortunately I built the box to fit perfectly (the top piece has a lip on each side to be flush against the panels) so I could see what position sounds best. I'm leaning towards port back and sub up as well. Thank you for your insight! Every bit helps!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.