Electronics help... Elect. Engineer question maybe?

Participant count
  • Participant list

arsonbob
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
So my idea for a halloween costume is a large scale, functional and lit-up simon (the old electronic memory game) costume.

The question I have, is since the power source for the game I have in hand right now is only about 4.5 volts, how can I modify the power source in order to allow me to power a 9v lamp (the cheap ones found at radio shack).

Is this at all possible? I realize that the easy solution could be to simply increase the entire power source for the game, however I do not want to fry the remainder of the electronic components that do not require that high of a power source. Any help or ideas is appreciated. Thank you.

You really have to be more specific about what you're doing...

AC or DC power, what kind of power source do you have for the game, wtf is the game, etc.

several options...

1. get a 9v battery.. make a voltage divider (look up Voltage Divider/ Attenuator) to send 4.5 for the game and 9v to the "lamp"

2. find a lamp thats rated less..

3. Get those 6v. Camping batteries (not sure if they come in 9v too.. but size is medium).. and hook up the 9v lamps on that.. may not be as bright.. then volt/div for the game.

4. Do a network of LEDs?

5. you can do a DC step up (look up Boost Converter).. (but u'll find out it draws current to boost potential diff.)

BTW what exactly are you planning to accomplish?

did you want to make extra large push buttons so the game would work? or did you just want it to light up random colors?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.