Electrical Systems

Participant count
  • Participant list

Wonderbread
5,000+ posts

Against Avatar Theft
Vancouver BC
All right, my lights dim a fair bit (interior and headlights) when i am idling with my music up. Thtats with justmy 2 8's running off one amp, and my deck.

Im looking into buying an amp fr my 12, it will likely be the 1200.1 or something comparable.

What do i need to do for my power issues? will a cap do me good enough? or should i get my alternator reqound/replaced? its a 91 merc cougar w/302 5.0L HO V8.

I think you already know the answer. If you're dimming lights now, it'll never handle a 1200. Stock alternators can usually be rewound to about 140 amp capacity but I'd probly go even bigger if you can afford it.

If your lights are dimming from just the one amp. I would say at the very least get your current alt rewound. You also happen to have a very popular motor. So if you do need to get a bigger alt you shouldn't have a problem finding one.

It mostly depends on how popular your car is..Look in the yellow pages for alternators and you should run across someone that will rewind them.. or you can try finding the Mean Green Industries web site.. they will ship to you.. I think it's gmindustries.com but I am not positive.

Mike

I'm in edmonton Alberta, with a 91 merc, cougar, with the ever popular ford 302 5.0L HO V8. The mustang engine, the Mark IV Engine, and of course the optional cougar LS engine.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.