Electrical/cone area trade off?

Participant count
  • Participant list
It's definitely cheaper to increase cone area if you don't have to get a new box. Usually sub sizes are separated by $0 to $40 or so. I think generally, if you stick to the same brand, doubling the power costs about 30-40% more. If you have to build a new box every time, that may get pricey, unless you can do it cheaply yourself.

I believe that once you get to a point (which is vehicle dependent), it's not practical to do either. Like for me (unless I wall) I can fit absolutely no more than 2 15" no matter you think of. But I can easily expand wiring and a battery bank into the bed of my truck. More expensive, but easier than trying to fit 2lbs of sausage in a 1lb bag... However in a lot of cases I feel as if adding cone area is much easier and definitely cheaper.

There is something about a smaller sub with power behind it I like. Yes it cost more but you give up less space. Last car I couldn't fit more than 2 12s, this one I only had so much room I wanted to give up. Power it is.

If you have lots of space then yes cone area is worth if you buy a 4 or 6 cheap 15/18s on 2000 watts vs two beefy expensive 12s on 7000 watts. The cone area on less power will win easily and cost way less on electricals. the Loudness to price ratio, cone area wins.

When you can't add more alternators is when power increase isn't your best option, imo //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.