ECLIPSE setup?

mgaidica
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
Heres the thing, I have about 1000 bucks to spend on my system. I got quoted $1000 for 2 eclipse 10's, eclipse 1000 watt amp and a nice box, then he said installation would be like $250 extra. I like eclipse subs but I'm not sure if thats the best way to go. Any suggestions or comments welcome.

Originally posted by mgaidica Heres the thing, I have about 1000 bucks to spend on my system. I got quoted $1000 for 2 eclipse 10's, eclipse 1000 watt amp and a nice box, then he said installation would be like $250 extra. I like eclipse subs but I'm not sure if thats the best way to go. Any suggestions or comments welcome.
Uhm... you could install the stuff yourself. It's really not that hard to hook up just the amp and subs - the only tricky part is running the amp power line from the battery because you have to find a hole in the firewall and run it through. Besides that, it's a piece of cake.

I'll let Jmac speak for the quality of Eclipse's stuff, because I don't have any experience, but hooking up JUST the subs and the amp for $250 is a complete rip-off. You could do it yourself easily with the right wiring kits and an hour's worth of time.

Mike

ya when i looked at best buy's installation prices i said to myself im doing this **** myself or not getting anything. installation prices are crazy....

Some kid by me got an all eclipse setup done by a local shop, in a 02 maxima, I think it was fiberglass w/ a marble finish, 3 12" Eclipse Alums I believe, don't remember amp, sealed, over $4 grand...he got raped...sounds pretty good though...

Originally posted by snova031 Some kid by me got an all eclipse setup done by a local shop, in a 02 maxima, I think it was fiberglass w/ a marble finish, 3 12" Eclipse Alums I believe, don't remember amp, sealed, over $4 grand...he got raped...sounds pretty good though...
4 G's? That wasn't just a raping... that was an "I'm-gonna-bend-you-over-the-couch-and-make-you-scream-for-mommy" style violation.

Did the marble finish look hot, though? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Mike

Originally posted by Ozone Blue 4 G's? That wasn't just a raping... that was an "I'm-gonna-bend-you-over-the-couch-and-make-you-scream-for-mommy" style violation.

Did the marble finish look hot, though? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Mike
Yeah it does...complements the car very well...but he's a little pretty boy, and bumps all around town, it's bound to get robbed.

Yeh, I find it to be a little over priced but you cant get to much better than 1000 watts for that money. When I talked to him he kind of mumbled on about what was in the instaltion, I think he said battery, wiring, and Im not sure whatelse he said but it wasnt just like "wiring and labor". Well I'll think about it and look around. Anyone have suggestions on something else to use that 1000 for?

I would go for it, thats not that bad of a deal. I am assuming that the subs are the Aluminums.

A buddy of mine has a 15 Eclipse Titanium powered by a JL 500/1 amp in a Camaro, and that setup hit alot harder than my old setup of 2 JL 12W3's. Eclipse makes some quality products, and yeah, they may be expensive, but they will get no complaints from me.

hahaha I am suprised I did not see this earlier, Eclipse is by far my favorite, I feel you get what you pay for in most cases, and the quality and durability and SQ of the equipment to me is worth it, the only thing I dont like about them is that their amps are made by Earthquake, so I would not nessicarlly use their amps all the time, but they are still HQ amps with some serious power, but I would liean more towards a Zapco or ARC amp, or if you want to go to a US Amps amp also, but regardless if your system is installed right you will be very very happy with the Eclipse //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif :D //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

i'd like to re enforce the amplifier choices.. there are MUCH better amps than eclipse amps, for MUCH better prices... their subs do sound good, and in my opinion they are some of the better quality woofers out. if you have your heart set on em, get em.. but honestly do look at a different amp.

on a side note. their cd player's quality has gone down the tubes. i had a 9442 *(i think thats the model number.. the one with the 5v outputs)* and it ate cds.. constantly.. had it refurbished... STILL does it, and it tends to overheat. thumbs down.

Originally posted by v8s10 i'd like to re enforce the amplifier choices.. there are MUCH better amps than eclipse amps, for MUCH better prices... their subs do sound good, and in my opinion they are some of the better quality woofers out. if you have your heart set on em, get em.. but honestly do look at a different amp.

on a side note. their cd player's quality has gone down the tubes. i had a 9442 *(i think thats the model number.. the one with the 5v outputs)* and it ate cds.. constantly.. had it refurbished... STILL does it, and it tends to overheat. thumbs down.
you must of had a lemon, because their head units are some of the very best //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

2 lemons???

i'd take my blaupunkt san francisco over an eclipse any day. it all depends on the driving you do and the conditions... my brother also has a 9442 and he has the same problem.. but we both drive 3 and 4 hour trips VERY often, seeings as we both have sponsors and other people we need to deal with concerning our cars.. i believe minus the heat problems the eclipse units are GREAT units.. if you use them for short bursts or small trips.. GREAT.. great unit for you.. but they do not have the quality that is needed for a long trip, a hard run.. or other conditions that are VERY hard on a headunit.

i agree.. they are great.. rarely skipped, very responsive, and the 5v outputs seriously made a difference.. but it just couldnt handle the conditions it was to be used in, and in this case blaupunkt rose to the challenge.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.