Dumb question

If bridging an amp makes more power (in watts) wouldn't the output be louder?
example 60X4@4ohms RMS or 170X2@4ohms RMS

Just a bit confused because not getting the volume that I figured I would be getting.
Well yes more watts typically means louder. Explain exactly what you have going on

I went from a Pac Soem4 to a phoenix gold R500.4 amp in 4 channel mode to factory speakers to an Audiocontrol LC2I to the Phoenix Gold Amp bridged to Arc Audio Arc 6.2 speakers. Not sure what is going on when I set it up using a -10db 1khz test tone and a dmm per Audiocontrol's instructions the gain on the amp and the sound was low. When I turned down the LC2I and the gains up on the amp as a test it sounded a little louder. I set it both ways when bridged to 150 watts so I am a bit confused. I figured 150 watts would sound the same either way it is set.

Generally when you bridge two channels the combined output power is just the sum of the two. It's still using the same components so it's unlikely it can create MORE power.

i.e. 60w x 2 bridged would produce 120w x 1 (not 170w).

If bridging an amp makes more power (in watts) wouldn't the output be louder?
example 60X4@4ohms RMS or 170X2@4ohms RMS

Just a bit confused because not getting the volume that I figured I would be getting.
I went from a Pac Soem4 to a phoenix gold R500.4 amp in 4 channel mode to factory speakers to an Audiocontrol LC2I to the Phoenix Gold Amp bridged to Arc Audio Arc 6.2 speakers. Not sure what is going on when I set it up using a -10db 1khz test tone and a dmm per Audiocontrol's instructions the gain on the amp and the sound was low. When I turned down the LC2I and the gains up on the amp as a test it sounded a little louder. I set it both ways when bridged to 150 watts so I am a bit confused. I figured 150 watts would sound the same either way it is set.
When you double the power to a driver the output should increase by 3dB. The problem is you are comparing 2 different drivers too, if the efficiency of the factory drivers is higher than the Arc Audios you may not get any increase in output.

Ok thanks everyone. That's what I figured Vaiboy. I will say this the Arc Audio speakers are cleaner and crisper sounding.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.