Dumb question, testing sub

evil_lies

Texas
I found an RE Audio sub on Craigslist I might be interested in. They say it's new an unused (ordered the wrong one). I'd like to believe them, but it's Craigslist. I am starting my build and do not have an amp yet. Aside from hoping the seller does and will test it free air is there any other way to make sure it's not blown?

not really other than pushing on cone to listen for scrubbing., many peeps use 9v batts to test but all u would hear is like a buzz which may not help..

use a trusted DMM and check the resistance of the coils
id run it free air on an amp honestly
This. If there's no resistance to the coils, in other words, if there's no numbers on the DMM when you go to check it, it's either blown or someone "could have" reconed it wrong. I've seen this before. As stated, another simple cost free test is of course the never fails battery test.

Post up a link of said RE sub....wanna know if it's the older ones, which I used to have/own, or the ****** newer ones.

Should be pretty obvious if it has never been mounted or used, I'd expect some amount of scratching around the mounting holes if it had ever been screwed into anything.

That said, safest bet is to actually play music through it and make sure you get good sound.

This. If there's no resistance to the coils, in other words, if there's no numbers on the DMM when you go to check it, it's either blown or someone "could have" reconed it wrong. I've seen this before. As stated, another simple cost free test is of course the never fails battery test.
Post up a link of said RE sub....wanna know if it's the older ones, which I used to have/own, or the ****** newer ones.
I didn't know that they got ******. I don't know that his listed price Is great, I was going to see if he was flexible on it.

https://sanantonio.craigslist.org/ele/6190848112.html

Out of curiosity, what happened to their quality? Or is it their reputation that went downhill or both? I don't know their history, just knew they were good subs at one time.

Out of curiosity, what happened to their quality? Or is it their reputation that went downhill or both? I don't know their history, just knew they were good subs at one time.
yeah used to have better rep but thats true of lots of subs.. if he'll come off that price, man u can get, sundown E 12 bstock for $90 it's a new sub with maybe just some extra glue on it or something and it has 30 day warranty., u can get some pretty decent subs under $150 new

Looks like the other real cheap 3" options. Not a huge fan of that basket, and i doubt it allows for much more than 15 or 16mm.

But im sure its ok for budget builds. I just feel like the good 2.5" subs are better than these 3" cheapies

Looks like the other real cheap 3" options. Not a huge fan of that basket, and i doubt it allows for much more than 15 or 16mm.
But im sure its ok for budget builds. I just feel like the good 2.5" subs are better than these 3" cheapies
yeah i saw baskets was cheap., wish ab had better specs on site

The RE is still an ok sub. Just not as good as old RE. I think id still take it over a p3 and definately over that AB. Its probably a little more sub than the E as well. If i was going to abuse a sub, id get the E

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.