Duct tape ans SPL

adulbrich
5,000+ posts

Olive oil un-virginer
Ames, Iowa
So why does duct taping around subs increase SPL? Is it stopping air-leaks around the gasket? Just seems weird to me that people get gains from this:

CIMG3045.JPG

Read this thread that HiSPL's linked and my interest was sparked:

SPL Gains!! Updates @page 30 (routing the port) - SPL - SOUND PRESSURE LEVEL - SMD Forum

I want to know of ways to get more SPL daily. I'm not trying to chase tenths for burp competitions. Just looking for ways to get a little more for demos. Not going to fold seats or anything like that. Right now, I'm planning to resin & wax the inside of my box, the ceiling, floor, and the back wall of my car. Deadening my other door when I do pods.

Any other weird tips/tricks you guys got?

So why does duct taping around subs increase SPL? Is it stopping air-leaks around the gasket? Just seems weird to me that people get gains from this:
CIMG3045.JPG

Read this thread that HiSPL's linked and my interest was sparked:

SPL Gains!! Updates @page 30 (routing the port) - SPL - SOUND PRESSURE LEVEL - SMD Forum

I want to know of ways to get more SPL daily. I'm not trying to chase tenths for burp competitions. Just looking for ways to get a little more for demos. Not going to fold seats or anything like that. Right now, I'm planning to resin & wax the inside of my box, the ceiling, floor, and the back wall of my car. Deadening my other door when I do pods.

Any other weird tips/tricks you guys got?
Awesome hints and tricks to get some gains man lol can't wait to try some of these out myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also tape up aero flanges if you have them. Gained .3 taping my four 4" aeros on my old re mt 18. Here is my current box, redid the flange tape with gorilla tape, seems to be thicker and stronger than regular 3m.

20150516_162632_zps0ohvzhpm.jpg

Awesome hints and tricks to get some gains man lol can't wait to try some of these out myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They're mostly for getting tenths for burps. I wouldn't do some of that stuff for daily listening

Also tape up aero flanges if you have them. Gained .3 taping my four 4" aeros on my old re mt 18. Here is my current box, redid the flange tape with gorilla tape, seems to be thicker and stronger than regular 3m.
20150516_162632_zps0ohvzhpm.jpg
Thank you, did not know that. I was just going to resin around the edges if I use the pipe I've got

Any other tips for us?

I hope you all realize that tweaking to pick up a dB at the meter with duct tape, PVC pipe half-rounds, etc. will be inaudible for you or passengers. For more impressive demo, figure out which door or window open makes it feel more intense in the passenger seat. Those sort of things can actually be audible, the vast majority of tricks on that thread won't help for just having your music louder.

They're mostly for getting tenths for burps. I wouldn't do some of that stuff for daily listening

Thank you, did not know that. I was just going to resin around the edges if I use the pipe I've got

Any other tips for us?
Resin sounds messy when dealing with ports that get removed frequently. Duct tape is quick and painless for the most part. Ive seen people duct tape all the edges on their boxes too, extreme duct taping lol

All depends on the vehicle, setup, all that. You chasing tenths or just looking for starter ideas for an only spl build?
Just kinda curious. The other thread sparked my interest

I hope you all realize that tweaking to pick up a dB at the meter with duct tape, PVC pipe half-rounds, etc. will be inaudible for you or passengers. For more impressive demo, figure out which door or window open makes it feel more intense in the passenger seat. Those sort of things can actually be audible, the vast majority of tricks on that thread won't help for just having your music louder.
Found out it's loudest with driver side window down or door open. Passenger door closed and window up.

I know it wouldn't be audible. Just trying to get ideas if i do meter and am close to 150, so I can edge the last few tenths if necessary.

I just want to break a 150 and do a hartrick with my new setup. Hairtrick is more important than tenths, but it would be nice to know how loud I actually am and have a number to post on the forums.

Resin sounds messy when dealing with ports that get removed frequently. Duct tape is quick and painless for the most part. Ive seen people duct tape all the edges on their boxes too, extreme duct taping lol
True, and that does sound extreme, haha

Just kinda curious. The other thread sparked my interest

Found out it's loudest with driver side window down or door open. Passenger door closed and window up.

I know it wouldn't be audible. Just trying to get ideas if i do meter and am close to 150, so I can edge the last few tenths if necessary.

I just want to break a 150 and do a hartrick with my new setup. Hairtrick is more important than tenths, but it would be nice to know how loud I actually am and have a number to post on the forums.
My truck is the same way. Driver door open and passenger door closed and window up is the best for passenger. And I feel you. Hairtrick is more important to me. I metered mine at 145Db at 29Hz back when they were less than a week old. THey've since gotten louder due to breaking in and I've tweaked the amp a lot since then, gaining a lot. I'd like to have a new number just to know. I'd imagine 148-ish. Small cabs ftw. I am going to try and tape everything up though haha.

My truck is the same way. Driver door open and passenger door closed and window up is the best for passenger. And I feel you. Hairtrick is more important to me. I metered mine at 145Db at 29Hz back when they were less than a week old. THey've since gotten louder due to breaking in and I've tweaked the amp a lot since then, gaining a lot. I'd like to have a new number just to know. I'd imagine 148-ish. Small cabs ftw. I am going to try and tape everything up though haha.
Single or extended cab? Great score with SA 12's on that power!

I'm always surprised by the numbers people pull with SA 12's. Great subs

Single or extended cab? Great score with SA 12's on that power!
I'm always surprised by the numbers people pull with SA 12's. Great subs
Access Cab, so it's in between a single and extended. I can do a partial hair trick as is. Not impressive, but a little teaser of what's to come. Hopefully will have my SAs on about 2.5-3k in the coming months

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Access Cab, so it's in between a single and extended. I can do a partial hair trick as is. Not impressive, but a little teaser of what's to come. Hopefully will have my SAs on about 2.5-3k in the coming months

I can move hair, but it isn't even remotely impressive. Doesn't float anything //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

I can move hair, but it isn't even remotely impressive. Doesn't float anything //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif
Same. I want to get to where my beard goes ape **** sitting there. Once I get my money for my B2s... And that Viking 7k... And all the batteries and wires... Well ****. Why did I pick such an expensive hobby?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

adulbrich

5,000+ posts
Olive oil un-virginer
adulbrich
Ames, Iowa
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date