Duct tape ans SPL

Physical damping of the box will reduce the impedance spikes. It will also reduce the peaks in the output of the box.. Its been done many times in home audio and in vented boxes I can't recall it EVER making anything louder. When measured usually you just see a flatter overall response with smoother roll off. Subjectively it cuts down on a lot of the higher order distortion as well, sounds cleaner. Can't see it having a purpose in a SPL design.

As you already mentioned the impedance peaks in a ported design are actually the more effecient parts of the enlcosure. Power drops to 1/4 or even less at those peaks, yet we all know from listening to ported boxes there isn't a huge SPL loss at those frequencies either.

For bass race and music classes it's actually benefitial to have these peaks.. Tapped horns for example have 3 impedance peaks, which really helps with power handling thermally

Physical damping of the box will reduce the impedance spikes. It will also reduce the peaks in the output of the box.. Its been done many times in home audio and in vented boxes I can't recall it EVER making anything louder. When measured usually you just see a flatter overall response with smoother roll off. Subjectively it cuts down on a lot of the higher order distortion as well, sounds cleaner. Can't see it having a purpose in a SPL design.
As you already mentioned the impedance peaks in a ported design are actually the more effecient parts of the enlcosure. Power drops to 1/4 or even less at those peaks, yet we all know from listening to ported boxes there isn't a huge SPL loss at those frequencies either.

For bass race and music classes it's actually benefitial to have these peaks.. Tapped horns for example have 3 impedance peaks, which really helps with power handling thermally
Thanks for the info!

What part of Illinois are you in?

Awesome, if you're ever coming to Springfield, let me know!
I'll probably be able to make a show in august you were talking about on MAF. I didn't make slam this year so I'm kinda bummed, gotta hit up something this summer still tho.

I remember seeing a dude with 4 10 MA HK subs doing this. Did a 149.9 he tried so hard to hit that 150 mark. I'm not 100% if he gained anything cause they were taped up when he came to the show.

Not to be contrary... but I've tested damping in an SPL box.

It's still in there if that tells you anything.
Thanks! I won't be competing, just daily. Would it even matter?

Polyfill or polyurethane foam? If you don't want to say because it's a well kept secret for you competing, I understand. If you can share, please do

Thanks! I won't be competing, just daily. Would it even matter?
Polyfill or polyurethane foam? If you don't want to say because it's a well kept secret for you competing, I understand. If you can share, please do
Honestly... any and all of these little SPL tricks and tips used will make zero audibility difference. +1dB is HUGE on the meter, but it's not even noticeable in a daily.

And without a TermLab... you would have no idea whether any of them was helping or hurting anyway. I suppose you could RTA to see of anything altered your response though.

Honestly... any and all of these little SPL tricks and tips used will make zero audibility difference. +1dB is HUGE on the meter, but it's not even noticeable in a daily.
And without a TermLab... you would have no idea whether any of them was helping or hurting anyway. I suppose you could RTA to see of anything altered your response though.
Ok, thanks

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

adulbrich

5,000+ posts
Olive oil un-virginer
adulbrich
Ames, Iowa
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date